Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
EDIT: I was a complete moron while making this thread, managed to ignore the massive battery life thread already up here.
So go here instead:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-life-for-13-and-15-macbook-pro.2015074/

Okay, this is a hot topic these days and I don't want to agitate either side of the debate.
So please, stay calm and civil.

Like many others, I'm sure, I'm getting slightly anxious about the battery life of Apples latest flagship laptop.
But I can't help becoming confused, because there are a lot of conflicting reports.

Naturally there are countless user reports either defending or condemning the Pro with anecdotal evidence.
But what are reviewers saying?

The latest numbers from Consumer Reports are quite disheartening, if a little light on empirical evidence.
Youtubers like Snazzy Labs and Linus Tech Tips are also skeptical of the battery life.

Yet reputable Notebookcheck is saying that the battery life is pretty good:
"Despite the smaller battery, the MacBook Pro 15 2016 does manage the promised 10 hours in the WLAN test. Video playback is only possible for 8.5 hours though. Both tests were performed with a luminance of 140 nits (the next level would be 192 nits). A full business day should be possible with one battery charge, except you have to use very complex application.
Even though the battery capacity was reduced by almost 25 % compared to the predecessor, Apple still managed to improve the overall runtimes with the 76-Wh battery. Our WiFi test determines an advantage of 130 minutes, so little more than two hours. Dell's XPS 15 (9550) is also beaten (despite the bigger battery). The current MacBook Pro 13 (i5, without Touch Bar) lasts around one hour longer."

-emphasis mine

Here's their chart comparing several laptops.
The battery life under "load" is a little worrying though.
Skjermbilde 2016-12-23 kl. 04.55.55.jpg

The ever wonderful Lisa on Mobile Tech Review also find the battery life pretty good, as advertised even.

So what to believe?
What is the battery life going to be like for the average consumer?
Please add any reviews you find relevant!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.