Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Anyone purchased a referb Windows Computer from a reliable house ? Recomended ? a2

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Most which say refurbished is just some company that cleans them up and resells them. Even the items from Microcenter and Newegg are usually just "refurbished" by some third party company.

That being said. Microcenter usually has the best refurbished deals. Newegg is pretty good too. Just make sure the seller is Newegg not a third party seller. I haven't compared in a while but they are usually cheaper than manufacturer refurbished.

Some of the manufacturers sell their manufacturer refurbished items on eBay. I think Acer has a refurbished eBay store. Others may not go under their own name for refurbished. Even Apple has done an eBay Outlet store.

If you want something official.
- Dell Outlet
- HP Business Outlet
- Lenovo Outlet

Also when it comes to refurbished. Get business models. They are usually just as cheap as refurbished home models. Yet have less junk ware, are better made, more upgradable and have Windows 10 Pro instead of Home.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I wondered what the pro signified with Windows. So they are same/same, just ruggeder and less bloat. Good tip, I'll go with that.

Had a lot of Dells back in XP days, and they were chock full of Dell ware, and had to be cleaned before use. LOL. So I'll pass the Dells,

I will check out the others, but would prefer a small referb house I can deal direct with, as I do with my Apples and Mac Of All Trades. Thanks. a2

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I wondered what the pro signified with Windows. So they are same/same, just ruggeder and less bloat. Good tip, I'll go with that.

Had a lot of Dells back in XP days, and they were chock full of Dell ware, and had to be cleaned before use. LOL. So I'll pass the Dells,

I will check out the others, but would prefer a small referb house I can deal direct with, as I do with my Apples and Mac Of All Trades. Thanks. a2

Dell and most others aren't like they were back then for bloat. Just be sure to remove support assist (pcdoctor). Many of them rebrand it. It is chick full of security holes. The best bet is a clean install of Windows.

Business models have less junk because, in part, businesses are paying extra to avoid adware. Windows Pro is included since many businesses need it for it's additional control and tools. Many are useless for individuals and small business. However, Group Policy and Bitdefender can be useful. Group Policy allows for a lot of easier tweaking, especially making Windows Update manual. Bitdefender allows hard drive encryption.

If you want used powerhouses look at the Dell Precision 3000, 5000 and 7000 series or the HP Z series.

Reactions: a2jack

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
I bought a pallet of Z820s to hackintosh from an ebay refurbisher - Extreme Recycling inc. They have a store and were easy to work with. Not a problem with any of the machines.

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
That Z820 ,inside, is a thing of beauty. Can this box be mode'ed to run hi end VR ? a2

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Needs no mods! Stick in the highest powered GPU you can afford and go for it! You'll just need some quality adapters. And go for the 1125W power supply (vs 800 standard) if you're going to run multiple big GPUs. The dual socket models come standard with the upgraded power supply. 1 of mine with the following from top to bottom:

GTX 1070 founders edition
GT 1030
HP Thunderbolt 2 card
GTX 1070 founders edition

Worth noting that the PCIe shroud will not fit over tall cooling solutions, so stick with reference cards. Also here's a link to OEM PCIe 6 to 8 pin adapters. I bought similar ones from eBay for much cheaper, but I'm not seeing them in my purchase history at the moment - you'll find them - they're thick and braided.

I used one of them to run an HTC Vive - logged plenty of hours on Elite: Dangerous. I never worried about settings - cranked every game up to max and enjoyed a buttery smooth experience. Go for it!

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Power-Supply-Adapter-N1G35AA/dp/B011Z74OGW

z820gpusjpg.jpg

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Good info, I'll start picking up those adapters while they are still around.

I'll begin looking for a machine close by, as that shipping cost is high. Still a little hazy on the OS but I will research. Yes, I will go the big PS. Thanks much. a2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.