Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
It does support it because it’s Kepler.
I don't know a lot about GPUs but are you sure it is a supported Keplar Card?
The resource linked by @startergo has the Titan X listed under Pascal/Maxwell

I didn’t have a boot screen prior to this, but your guide mentions that rEFInd does give boot screen for MP3,1.
Might need to limit that statement to AMD cards for now ... as that is what is actually tested.

You can track progress of an updated version of Refind for our cMP units here onward: .
Run this and post your log file so can see what's happening on your unit and perhaps the issue can be fixed in Refind.

Alternatively, install OpenCore directly. You can follow this guide to do this with a minor amendment explained in the guide.

I presume you have installed Catalina using the DosDude Patcher?

You should be able to run OpenCore Side by Side with this ... but as always when tinkering, always prep to recover your machine from a non working state.

Reactions: ferologics

ferologics

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
I don't know a lot about GPUs but are you sure it is a supported Keplar Card?
The resource linked by @startergo has the Titan X listed under Pascal/Maxwell

It’s Titan, not Titan X, I made a typo in my first post. Sorry about that. Anyways,

Alternatively, install OpenCore directly.
Would that give me a boot screen? 🤔
I know that you’re supposed to do some SMBIOS spoofing but unsure what the potential ****ups could be.

I presume you have installed Catalina using the DosDude Patcher?
Yes sir. And my main intent with boot screen is to update my mac to support recovery. That is, to latest DosDude Catalina patcher.

Run this and post your log file so can see what's happening on your unit.
I’m not in a position to potentially brick my unit. I’m fine with softbooting rEFInd but worried that going full OC would wreak havoc. Might take my time with this.

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Would that give me a boot screen?
I know that you’re supposed to do some SMBIOS spoofing but unsure what the potential ****ups could be.
The main OC thread needs to be understood in context. All the stuff currently being discussed about SMBIOS spoofing is related to macOS BS ... ignore all of that and wait for things to settle down after it is actually released.

As for Catalina etc, you don't need SMBIOS spoofing. There is some partial spoofing needed for hardware acceleration if you want this but it is not required. In any case, the OC config posted in this guide is tried and tested. Follow the guide and there will be no issues.

Last edited:

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
I believe I followed all the steps correctly and I get the rEFInd boot screen but when I choose OC it loops right back to the rEFInd boot screen. In the part where we use the app Bless am I blessing rEFInd or am I blessing OpenCore?

Keep in mind my boot volume is labeled Catalina in MacOS desktop but it’s actually labeled EFI at the EL Captain boot screen, this is before installing rEFInd, do I need to re-run those two scripts and change it from Catalina to EFI. I have no idea why Dosdude1 install causes Catalina volume named to EFI, unless it has something to do with ELC is HFS+ while Catalina is APFS?

Actually there is more to this. My other drive is El Captain HFS+ while my SSD is APFS Catalina so from the ELC boot screen after holding down the option key it shows Catalina as EFI and then when it boots I see an EFI shell script run then it boots to Catalina. This is before installing rEFInd. There is also an APFS.efi file in the root of the Catalina volume EFI.

Also just to make things clear rEFInd is being installed on the SSD drive Catalina. MacOS ELC drive will be left alone.

Diskutil list labels the APFS physical disk as Disk1s2 as Container Disk2, and not Catalina?. I have to assume I need to put that in as the volume name in the two scripts we run?

Here is a screenshot:

Attachments

• 9D8E8A5E-C36E-41BD-A2F1-125F2771DC5A.png
    9D8E8A5E-C36E-41BD-A2F1-125F2771DC5A.png
    2 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Sorry, I got a bit lost in between the various drives mentioned but the guide should tell you what exactly you should be blessing.

I just noticed a bug in the BootBlesser App as it always brings up the dialog requiring "diskutil list" even when the disk label is added to the relevant file and will fix this later but that is an aside.

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
Sorry, I got a bit lost in between the various drives mentioned but the guide should tell you what exactly you should be blessing.

I just noticed a bug in the BootBlesser App as it always brings up the dialog requiring "diskutil list" even when the disk label is added to the relevant file and will fix this later but that is an aside.

Actually as far as I can see the guide does not tell you which to bless. I don't see that bug your speaking of. From the rEFInd boot screen when I click on Open core it loops back to the rEFInd boot screen.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Actually as far as I can see the guide does not tell you which to bless.

2020-07-19_2130.png

Is the above not clearly referring to RefindPlus enough or is there another part you mean?
I can make it more explicit if needed.

From the rEFInd boot screen when I click on Open core it loops back to the rEFInd boot screen.
Not right ... Suggest you reset startdisk, reset NVRAM and start over.

If still an issue after, there is a chance of a problem I can think of but try again before I look into investigating it further.

Last edited:

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
View attachment 935362
Is the above not clearly referring to Refind enough or is there another part you mean?
I can make it more explicit if needed.

Not right ... Suggest you reset startdisk, reset NVRAM and start over.

If still an issue after, there is a chance of a problem I can think of but try again before I look into investigating it further.

Ok will try that. I think you should say test rEFInd choose rEFInd from the bless utility.

can you tell me what the volume should be from my screenshot?

You said you installed Mojave using the dosdude1 patcher I am sure its APFS, can you see if your EFI contains an APFS.efi?

see the two screenshots my APFS Catalina volume does not show up only the EFI which if you read my post about the drives and explanations you will see that EFI is the actually volume name I don’t know why?

So when I choose EFI it loops right back to the rEFInd boot screen

Attachments

• 046C5BF4-4CBB-44A1-AC95-71CC69267561.jpeg
    046C5BF4-4CBB-44A1-AC95-71CC69267561.jpeg
    897.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 939EA4BD-C66D-46F9-A170-18FD0A712EA2.jpeg
    939EA4BD-C66D-46F9-A170-18FD0A712EA2.jpeg
    948.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Ok will try that. I think you should say test rEFInd choose rEFInd from the bless utility.
Amended the text

can you tell me what the volume should be from my screenshot?
If you add a volume name to the DiskLabel.scpt file as explained in the guide, you will not need to use diskutil list.
Note that I have just updated the package to myBootMgr-059a which addresses this issue.

You said you installed Mojave using the dosdude1 patcher I am sure its APFS, can you see if your EFI contains an APFS.efi?
Assume you are on a 3,1. Mine has the APFS ROM Patch applied, so it boots APFS natively. I can see that not having this might be a challenge and that you probably need to add the APFS.efi driver to Refind. A bit of a hole in the guide.

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
Amended the text

If you add a volume name to the DiskLabel.scpt file as explained in the guide, you will not need to use diskutil list.
Note that I have just updated the package to myBootMgr-059a which addresses this issue.

Assume you are on a 3,1. Mine has the APFS ROM Patch applied, so it boots APFS natively. I can see that not having this might be a challenge and that you probably need to add the APFS.efi driver to Refind. A bit of a hole in the guide.

Ah Ok I did apply the APFS rom patch on the 2nd reboot right after the install was complete I booted back into the Dosdude1 installer (Recovery) and applied the ROm patch and assumed it placed the APFS.efi into the EFI, let me re-apply that patch and remove APFS.efi to see if that fixes things or not. I think Catalina is the challenge or APFS not sure?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Ah Ok I did apply the APFS rom patch on the 2nd reboot right after the install was complete I booted back into the Dosdude1 installer (Recovery) and applied the ROm patch.
If using the APFS ROM Patch, then you shouldn't install the DosDude APFS Patch ... APFS.efi is placed in the efi by the DosDude Patcher if APFS patch is selected.

I think Catalina is the challenge or APFS not sure?
Neither am I ... Not tried Catalina as yet.

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
If using the APFS ROM Patch, then you shouldn't install the DosDude APFS Patch ... APFS.efi is placed in the efi by the DosDude Patcher if APFS patch is selected.

Neither am I ... Not tried Catalina as yet.

Problem Solved placed the apfs.efi into the OC/Drivers folder updated the config.plist file to include the apfs.efi in the EFI section/drivers. Catalina is now displayed when I choose OC from the rEFInd boot menu, its listed now as number 4.

I am thinking of displaying Canopy with the resources not sure if that will work to give a second GUI screen?

I think I forgot what the APFS ROM patch is versus Dosdude1's APFS patch? I don't think I ever applied the APFS ROM patch? Is there a link to that?

All working now thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.16.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.16.40 PM.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 166

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I am thinking of displaying Canopy with the resources not sure if that will work to give a second GUI screen?
It will work. I just didn't see the point. I actually have my OC with ShowPicker set to false so that it boots into a default selection directly and only display the text list when specifically needed.

I think I forgot what the APFS ROM patch is versus Dosdude1's APFS patch? I don't think I ever applied the APFS ROM patch? Is there a link to that?
You are probably better off skipping that.

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
I made a change to the key order under kernel/drivers in OP config. LILO should be first and whatevergreen should be second, something I read in the OP manual.

Can’t get it to show the Boot GUI when canopy is enabled. Maybe the resources I grabbed are not correct for macpro3,1? Is that universal for Macpro5,1 and Macpro3,1. It could also be something related to the rEFInd GUI then launching a 2nd GUI just might have issues. I have to search to see if anyone has been able to get this working and the settings they may have done for the rEFInd conf and OP config

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I made a change to the key order under kernel/drivers in OP config. LILO should be first and whatevergreen should be second, something I read in the OP manual.
The Config posted in the OP is perfectly fine and is tried and tested. Don't change it based on misinterpretations of the documentation.

What the OpenCore docs actually say is equivalent to: "When reciting the alphabets, 'D' should come BEFORE 'F'".
What you have interpreted that as is: "When reciting the alphabets, 'D' should come FIRST and 'F' should come SECOND".

Can’t get it to show the Boot GUI when canopy is enabled. Maybe the resources I grabbed are not correct for macpro3,1? Is that universal for Macpro5,1 and Macpro3,1.
It is universal. It would be pointed out if not.

It could also be something related to the rEFInd GUI then launching a 2nd GUI just might have issues.
There is nothing in this setup that stops any OpenCore feature from working. No interrelationship in this respect.

I have to search to see if anyone has been able to get this working and the settings they may have done for the rEFInd conf and OP config
Most likely a misconfiguration on your part. Ask for help on OpenCanopy config in the main OpenCore thread.
Again, note that the fact of chainloading from Refind has no relationship with how you configure OpenCore apart from the one item in the guide about ProtectBoot.

Last edited:

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
Thanks for the explanations. I think the order only matters that lilo then whatevergreen should be in that order and not reversed. I think I misunderstood possibly that lilo does not have to be key order first but whatevergreen should follow after lilo as you have it now.

Will holding down the option key can this cause a change to Nvram or the need to re-bless rEFInd? It looks like when you press the option key before the boot chime it breaks the bootloader rEFInd.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Many thanks for this guide. However, I seem to have an issue.
I have done the pre-installation and created a small EFI partition in my secondary HDD. However when I try to run EFI_Util on it, I get this message:
Unexpected Disk ID: /dev/disk0
disk2
disk2
disk3
disk4

I get the same error if I try to 'soft bless' using the Boot Blesser. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Will holding down the option key can this cause a change to Nvram or the need to re-bless rEFInd? It looks like when you press the option key before the boot chime it breaks the bootloader rEFInd.
This should not not reset NVRAM but why would you routinely need to hold this down when you boot?
What are you trying to do with this?

I have done the pre-installation and created a small EFI partition in my secondary HDD. However when I try to run EFI_Util on it, I get this message:

Unexpected Disk ID: /dev/disk0

I get the same error if I try to 'soft bless' using the Boot Blesser. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
The guide outlines things for two modes, "EFI" and "USB", which you decide. If you read again, it doesn't tell you to create the EFI in order to run that mode.

This is because the EFI partition is not something you create by yourself. It is a hidden partition on your drive created when formating the drive. EFI_Util helps you to load it as it is otherwise invisible.

"USB" is for normal folders that you can create yourself. So since you said you created the folder, you should be using the "USB" mode to bless it and you can't mount it with the EFI_Util as it is not an EFI partition. It is just a folder you named as EFI and could have given any other name.

If you prefer to work with such a folder you created by yourself, then use steps for "USB" which does not include using EFI_Util. If you want to use EFI mode, then follow the steps for that which involve mounting the otherwise invisible EFI partition first.

Last edited:

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
I’ll explain I have a large Samsung 40 inch LCD TV and when I boot sometimes it won’t see the signal can’t figure out why but if I hold the option key at least I know I have a 2nd option to choose a boot drive. When I do that it seems to break rEFInd boot.

So I decided to go ahead and flash Dosdude1’s APFS Rom patch worked fine. I removed all instances of APFS.efi. I now have the Catalina drive show up on the rEFInd boot screen but if I boot from there I get a forbidden sign no boot. I can boot though OpenCore no issue.

Not sure what can be wrong?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Is Catalina installed in one of the normal SATA Drive bays or is it on a drive connected to a PCIe slot?

osxfr33k

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2019
The SSD with Catalina is connected to SATA drive bay1 and and EL Capitan is connected to SATA drive bay2. I don’t plan on ever connecting drives in the PCIe slots.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
OK. On my rig, Refind typically shows the boot screen in 6 secs. However, it sometimes takes 30 secs. When this happens, a drive connected to a PCIe slot does not load and this intermittent PCIe Slot drive issue is well known.
Also affects direct OpenCore boots but not yet figured out. See: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/861#issuecomment-616344925

The image below shows the boot log from such an instance and it is something I need to look into further (It is intermittent as said):

LoadIssue.png

Having said all that, your issue seem to be totally different and I can't give suggestions on it.
Refind does have a 30 Sec delay issue which might be your issue but AFAIK, this is not intermittent as you say yours is.

On not being able to boot from Refind, ask for help on the Catalina for unsupported Macs thread. However, note that the whole purpose of this setup is to boot into macOS through OpenCore. Nontheless, you should be able to boot through Refind as well under this setup.

In summary, this thread/guide is focused on doing the basic setup. Specific help on each element once this is achieved is best referred to specific subject threads.

Reactions: osxfr33k

Sandleford

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Trying to get nvidia drivers to work on a 4,1 in linux. Should it be a different thread or maybe OC helps there?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Is this with a 4,1 that has not been flashed to 5,1?
Also, have you tried to install myBootMgr as per this guide?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.