Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
No, not that type of reflow. My logicboard(s) are all fine. No, the desk is now due for an expansion/slight upgrade/change. Probably this weekend, the desk that is holding my MP is going to go into the garage. The dining room table (which is the same height as the current table I am using to hold all my monitors) will be coming in to the front room to replace the desk. That's going to give me ONE wide, even space. Had I been smart, I would have bought two of the same table the last time. SMH.

It's going to mean I can get the eighth monitor off the floor. The 20" Cinema Display will be turned vertically and will sit between the two 30" Cinemas and the rest will be 'wings' as before. But I needed to know what the eighth monitor would be. And today that question resolved itself with a Goodwill visit.

This monitor (below) is an eMachines E211H. 21" monitor, 1920x1080. It is the exact same resolution as my Dell, but confusingly the Dell is a 23". Go figure. However, the important thing is that I now have two displays that are 1920x1080. That makes the panarama wallpaper design that I have going equal (two 1920x1080 monitors on the end instead of two at different resolutions).

2023-11-02 12.26.38.jpg

PS. I'm guessing that Acer made monitors for eMachines because that is what Display Menu is reporting. Which is interesting, because this monitor replaces a smaller Acer.

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 12.28.05.jpg

Lastly…apparently there was some sort of deal going on at Goodwill today. I paid $2.00 for this eMachines monitor!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
That's a steal and its been put to good use by the new owner! :D

Who's the lady in the wallpaper?
Julie London. Got her fame as a torch singer/actress. Was married to Jack Webb, but divorced him and later married Bobby Troup. Troup is the guy who wrote the song 'Route 66'.

Mainly, people know her from Emergency! though. Nurse Dixie McCall.

emergency-tv-series-main-cast-1970s.jpg

Reactions: TheShortTimer

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
In that youth pic of hers she looks very much like Jane Russell.

When I was young I used to collect old movie star autographs, original press release photos, posters, photos they gave to fans and actual press photos etc. Still have some interesting ones.
Prior to meeting my wife, old movies did not hold much interest to me. They still do not. However, I have come to appreciate certain actors and actresses simply because my wife watches old movies. :)

To keep this thread on track…the current panoramic desktop wallpaper done on my MP with Photoshop. The gray area is the deadspace around the monitors.

Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 13.23.09.jpg

From the left…Amanda Blake (Gunsmoke), Ahsoka Tano (Star Wars), Polgara the Sorceress (David Eddings), Moiraine Damodred (Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time fanart), Kate Kennedy (Spartan Kai-125, HALO TV Show) and Audrey Meadows (The Honemooners).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Nice score. I don’t think I would have been able to pass up a monitor for $2 either, especially if it had decent I/o and P/L hinged stand.
Yeah. Goodwill gives daily discounts based on tag colors. Yesterday's was purple, the tag on the monitor was blue. The monitor was $12.49. But the cashier was looking for something else. Turned out to be some code she used for the discount. I couldn't believe it when it rang up.

There was a 21" Samsung there too. I've used those before, but it's got a specialized power cable and I didn't see it anywhere near the monitor. So that's why I went with the eMachines one.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I’ve always wanted a set of the 30” displays but have absolutely no idea where I’d put them LOL. Such a cool monitor though :)
They are great displays and fortunately I have the room. My wife ceded a part of the living room to me several years back. The real interesting thing though had been keeping them working with newer Macs.

I got them working with my old work Mac (2015 MBP) and with the new 2023 M2 work Mac they gave me. The M2 took two special cables and a USB-C dock using DisplayLink but it works.

And a couple years back I bought a high resolution KVM switch so switching between my MacPro and the work Mac is easy.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I got them working with my old work Mac (2015 MBP) and with the new 2023 M2 work Mac they gave me. The M2 took two special cables and a USB-C dock using DisplayLink but it works.
What cable and dock did you use for the M2? I am sure I already have what I’d need for my PPC and early Intel macs were I to get one but am unsure what adapter soup I’d need to get DVI to usb-c.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
What cable and dock did you use for the M2? I am sure I already have what I’d need for my PPC and early Intel macs were I to get one but am unsure what adapter soup I’d need to get DVI to usb-c.
That is difficult to answer only because it's referred to by at least three different names. I know it as the UGREEN 9-in-1 USB-C dock. UGREEN calls it another name and Amazon calls it a third name.

Both cables I used are by Club though. They are Dual link and non-HDCP. The first is DVI to USB-C and the second is DVI to Display Port.

Links are here in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/13-m2-macbook-pro-and-dual-30-cinema-displays.2399079/

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
That is difficult to answer only because it's referred to by at least three different names. I know it as the UGREEN 9-in-1 USB-C dock. UGREEN calls it another name and Amazon calls it a third name.

Both cables I used are by Club though. They are Dual link and non-HDCP. The first is DVI to USB-C and the second is DVI to Display Port.

Links are here in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/13-m2-macbook-pro-and-dual-30-cinema-displays.2399079/
Ugh HDCP - the biggest rip ever LOL. Anyhow, that link is perfect - Great conversation & spells it out perfectly. Thanks again.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.