Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Hey there; just wondering if the old iMac is still going strong, or has the graphics card conked out yet?

Cheers,

Razzerman

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Hey there; just wondering if the old iMac is still going strong, or has the graphics card conked out yet?

Cheers,

Razzerman
Hi,
As far as I'm aware yes. I was using it regularly until about 3 months ago, then decided to sell. Told the buyer the work I'd performed and then we tested the iMac satisfactorily together. I mentioned that I couldn't give any guarantee on prolonged operation but said if it did prove troublesome to give me a call. I've heard nothing since so I presume it's still functioning well.
For others reading this for the first time, to extend the life I would stress the importance of keeping to the tips mentioned in posts #7 and #21 especially ensuring cleaning of all fans, and removing the HDD and installing an SSD in it's place.

Faloude

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
Will be attempting a hairdryer bake and will post results here soon, just for giggles.

Faloude

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
Ladies and gentlemen, succesfully reflowed this GPU with only a hairdryer. Heated it up about 3 minutes, close range (about 1-2 inches) and it's working. Will try to remember to write an update here once it dies again.

gpu.jpeg

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Phan Tien Cong

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2023
IMG_0265.jpeg

I baked my hd4850 by an airfryer this second time and it worked like a charm.🥳.
I’m considering to upgrade 2gb gpu but it’s prize hold me back as it was very expensive in my country.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.