Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
how do i reformat my old imac and install os 9? what is the easiest way to do this? i am pretty new to the mac. thanks.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
problem with that

i know that is what i am suposed to do, but when i startup i am never given the option. it just boots up in to os 9, but never installs

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
are you holding down the c key. if you boot onto the cd you should quit installation. open up disk utility or whatever its called in os 9 and initilize hard drive. then install from there. go into more detail on what you ware doing.

iJon

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....2 questions - how old is the imac and how old is the OS 9 cd? If it is not the cd that came with the imac and the imac is newer than the cd, it may not be able to boot that particular imac....oh yeah!

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
it is an original imac 233 with 64 megs of ram. i got it from a friend who upgraded and no longer wanted this computer. i got it all as is. it is running os 8.5, but there was an os 9 disk with it.

what i have done so far:

let disk load at startup: it boots into os 9 and semi-runs the os. it says that it is in os 9, but it is not actually installed. i am not sure exactly what is going on.

attempt to instill while in os 8.5: i get the error message: firmware is out of date. it says refer to some "cd extras" folder on the disk, but i can't find it.

holding c at startup: little mac computer face comes up and does seem to go away.

i just want to reformat everything and start fresh in os 9. i am new to the mac os so i am pretty lost. thanks for all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.