Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElGranNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Detroit, MI
I am trying to figure out how to reformat my iPod Touch (Model iPod5,1, iOS 9.3.5) from Windows to Mac compatibility, but I have not had much luck as of yet.

I recently bought an iMac (macOS 10.12.4), and I would like to pair it with my iPod Touch. However, when I tried to sync it right off the bat, it wouldn't do anything other than say it has synced despite nothing appearing on the iPod Touch. I tried doing a factory reset on the iPod Touch, but it still would not sync. I connected the iPod Touch to my iMac and did a restore from iTunes; that still didn't work.

Is there something I am missing? Is it possible to somehow pair my iPod Touch with my iMac? As of now, I restored a backup from my Surface Pro 3 on my iPod so that it is at least functional.

Any help is much appreciated!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You need to connect the Touch to your Mac, open iTunes and do a reset while attached to your Mac. The Touch will then be formatted for your Mac. That's how I've changed format from PC to Mac. The problem you may run into is doing a restore as I'm not sure the backup you made with iTunes will be compatible after you changed format. An iCloud backup and restore might work though.

ElGranNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Detroit, MI
You need to connect the Touch to your Mac, open iTunes and do a reset while attached to your Mac. The Touch will then be formatted for your Mac. That's how I've changed format from PC to Mac. The problem you may run into is doing a restore as I'm not sure the backup you made with iTunes will be compatible after you changed format. An iCloud backup and restore might work though.

I read that elsewhere online and attempted it. I connected the iPod to my iMac via USB and restored it from iTunes. The iPod did restore, and iTunes welcomed me to my "new" iPod but never prompted me to name it. Attempts to sync it were unsuccessful as well.

iOS devices do not have a PC or Mac format like older iPods do. There is only one format that can be read and written by both types.

That is what I figured, but from what I was seeing online, it seemed like it was still a potential issue. Oh well; I still could not write to it from my iMac for some reason.

ElGranNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Detroit, MI
What happens when you attempt to sync music to it?

It would indicate it is preparing to sync and then complete its three steps without actually copying any files to the iPod - no error messages or anything.

I know that's a little vague; I do not have any screenshots to show what I mean.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Are you selecting media to sync to your iPod? Is there even media on your Mac to sync to it? This seems to be a problem with what you're telling it to do and not a problem with the iPod.

ElGranNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yes. I have my music on my iMac's hard disk, and I have added all of that music to my iTunes library, but the iTunes library is not getting pushed to the iPod.

Thanks for the replies.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you checked the box in iTunes that tells it to sync the music to your iPod? It some times won't sync music by default and you have to select what you want to sync.

ElGranNate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Detroit, MI
Oh my Thor. I cannot believe I overlooked that. Sheesh. I feel dumb. Haha. :rolleyes:

I'm all set. Thanks again for your replies, Intell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.