Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
my current macbook pro is starting to feel sluggish, so im about to reformat my macbook, but how do i do that? do i just put in the OSX cd and install the OSX? (not used to reformatting mac's, but i know how to reformat windows)

also, if i restore from a timemachine back up, my macbook will still be sluggish correct? i have to do a clean restore, IE; just drag and drop the things i want (music and videos)and install apps and etc all over again.

Last edited:

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
my current macbook pro is starting to feel sluggish, so im about to reformat my macbook, but how do i do that? do i just put in the OSX cd and install the OSX? (not used to reformatting mac's, but i know how to reformat windows)

also, if i restore from a timemachine back up, my macbook will still be sluggish correct? i have to do a clean restore, IE; just drag and drop the things i want (music and videos)and install apps and etc all over again.

Yes, you should do a clean restore.
Insert your Mac OS CD, and restart.
Then, after you select the language, go to the utilities menu, then disk utility.
Go to the format screen, and format your hard drive. (This will erase the HDD so keep everything you want on a DVD, CD, flash drive, or something)
Next, quit disc utility and again follow the on-screen instructions.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
okay thanks, and thats what i figured about the time machine ha ha. ill reformat next week. since thats when s-break starts. thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.