Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astonius86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
I just bought a new ultrawide monitor for my 2010 cMP currently running a 5770 GPU. Obviously a GPU is next in the upgrade list, but until then I'd like to use the monitor to its fullest potential. I hooked it up using a mini DP to DP adapter and set it to run in 1.1 mode (I had to do this to get the boot screens to show since the card doesn't support 1.2). macOS (10.12.6) recognizes the monitor at its full 3440x1440 resolution, but it will not allow me to set the refresh rate beyond 30 Hz. I decided to give Windows 10 a try, and it does in fact run at native res at 60 Hz, so something in macOS is limiting its capabilities. I tried installing SwitchResX and setting up custom resolutions, but I couldn't get it to work. I was hoping maybe there's a more elegant solution to this issue that doesn't require third-party software installs. Has anyone had any luck running 3440x1440 at 60 Hz on a 5770-equipped cMP, and if so how'd you do it?

astonius86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
I already tried SwitchResX, but it doesn't show 3440x1440@60Hz as a supported resolution. There's an option to create custom resolutions, but it either doesn't work or I'm not using it properly.

astonius86

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
FYI for anyone who might be in the same boat: I gave SwitchResX another try and was able to get 60 Hz working. I had to select the monitor on the left panel, then select Custom Resolutions, add a new resolution, then I checked the simple checkbox and put 3440x1440 in the resolution and 60 in the vertical refresh rate. I then saved the configuration and restarted. Then I went into display settings in system preferences and changed the refresh rate to 60 Hz. It's working great now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.