Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
High to you all. Here in Canada where I live, there are now refurbished iPhones to sell on Apple Website. Wasn’t like that less than a year ago. 11 would fit my needs perfectly. No need for more (still use a 6s). There’s a 128g refurbished for 639$ (don’t jump these are regular prices in Canada) and new 64g for 679$. New 128g is 749$. Simple question: can I completely trust a refurbished? Don’t want a SE nor 12, 13 or next 14. My needs are basic but don’t want a 4’7 inch screen. 6s has already one. As for Face Time, I could get used to it. Your comments are so welcome.
Thanks million times.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
im not sure about Canada...but in Indonesia its safer to get rband new as refurbished iPhones sold here are trash. try to find a reputable seller.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
High to you all. Here in Canada where I live, there are now refurbished iPhones to sell on Apple Website. Wasn’t like that less than a year ago. 11 would fit my needs perfectly. No need for more (still use a 6s). There’s a 128g refurbished for 639$ (don’t jump these are regular prices in Canada) and new 64g for 679$. New 128g is 749$. Simple question: can I completely trust a refurbished? Don’t want a SE nor 12, 13 or next 14. My needs are basic but don’t want a 4’7 inch screen. 6s has already one. As for Face Time, I could get used to it. Your comments are so welcome.
Thanks million times.
I would ensure that you check what the battery health is on the refurbished unit, are you able to take out AppleCare+ on refurbished units?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
If you are referring to the Certified Apple Refurbished store, then (in the UK and US) the items sold there are indistinguishable from new items, all with a brand new battery by the way and fully guaranteed by Apple exactly the same as a new item.
I often buy Apple Certified refurbished stuff when what I am looking for is available.
There is no reason not to.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
If you are referring to the Certified Apple Refurbished store, then (in the UK and US) the items sold there are indistinguishable from new items, all with a brand new battery by the way and fully guaranteed by Apple exactly the same as a new item.
I often buy Apple Certified refurbished stuff when what I am looking for is available.
I agree with this.

Reactions: N69AP and eyoungren

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
In my opinion, a genuine Apple refurbished iPhone is better than new. It gets an extreme quality control check before it’s released. New iPhones don’t get the same attention. The only original thing in it is the motherboard. They look and perform identical to new in every detail. (My last two iPhones were Apple refurbished. Last one lasted 6 years and still is going strong).

But a refurbished iPhone from a different company? That could mean anything. Personally I wouldn’t buy one.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Thanks million times.
Refurbs from Apple are as good as new devices. However, you don't get the "new" device vibe as it does come in a generic non-brand packaging.

Here is the important part, all refurb devices from Apple go thru extra QC controls and are more vigorously tested than "new" devices. In a sense, they are texted to ensure it complies with the "as new" feel. Furthermore, you get the exact same warranty as if the device were new.

Do yourself a favor and buy a refurb from Apple if you want. Saves you cash.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I've an SE2016 64g. You haven't said how much storage is ideal for you, it does seem you don't update often? In 2017 my SE sold with 128g and geez I wish I had that as am often clearing the memory. Sure I've got 50g iCloud but much media of that I prefer on device only.
Unfortunately I went through a couple refurbs after a problem with the new purchase until satisfied. In fairness it's my primary phone I still use, new battery recently.

Given all that, I'd personally steer toward brand new and 128g if able to stretch $$ a lil bit more.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
If storage difference isn’t a big concern for you, then why not spend the extra 40$ on the new 64GB? A newer, faster, longer supported phone for 40$ more seems like the way to go.

Apple refurbished is usually good in the US, but it could vary by country, so… \_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Andeddu

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A newer, faster, longer supported phone for 40$ more seems like the way to go.
I don't want to be mean, but refurbished or new, OP's question concerns the iPhone 11. What quality of a new iPhone 11 makes it faster and longer supported than a refurbished iPhone 11? Particularly when both are offered direct from Apple on its website and have the exact same warranty?

Reactions: maerz001

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Have to agree with that. A former boss of mine bought a refurb 2010 MacPro from Apple's website in 2013. When I left in late 2018 that MP was still functioning.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I don't want to be mean, but refurbished or new, OP's question concerns the iPhone 11. What quality of a new iPhone 11 makes it faster and longer supported than a refurbished iPhone 11? Particularly when both are offered direct from Apple on its website and have the exact same warranty?

I misread that. I thought the OP meant new 13. But I see they clarified that they don’t want 12,13 or upcoming 14. So my comment is moot.

Reactions: eyoungren

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello to you all and so many thanks for your precious help. I decided to go for the 128g iPhone 11 refurbished. I received it today. First reaction (bizarre): I'm not overwhelmed. I think the reason is I've been with my dinosaur 6s for song that my brain got too much used to smaller screen and I got terrified to use Face ID which I will turn t on in the next days. Plus in the process of first start up, the 11 became very warm to the touch. A Genius told me it was normal for a very first boot. Naturally, I freaked out. A few hours later, it was rather cool to the touch. Heard about the 11 models getting warm even hot...But one thing is sure: the 11 is so much faster than the 6s. Love that speed.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Thanks so much for your hint. As you say "enjoy your new phone". That's what I'm trying to do cause, to my gigantic surprise, the phone has not given me a Wow effect yet. No dislike for sure but a strange feeling of déjà vu or where's the big surprise. I do so less on a phone calls, email, Safari, Web radio in my car that's about it. I bought it cause I will get rid of the landline this summer and I thought a 6s would not fit the bill at that time. I know, I look silly and fussy. Probably...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
See the many devices you have owned, any new device doesn't have much wow factor. After all, aside from camera improvements and design changes, the iPhone has stayed relatively the same since the iPhone X.

nidha

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2022
Thanks million times.
I am not sure about Canada, but I purchased a Used iPhone a few months ago from Phone Daddy, a certified US-based company. I loved their services because they offer fair prices on used and refurbished phones with a one-year warranty. You can get free shipping above orders of $100. More importantly, my phone is working perfectly to date.

Just do your research properly to avoid scams and get a good quality phone.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello. I finally got use to my new 11. It took longer than I previously thought but I'm very satisfied. With my little needs for an iPhone, no surprise here. Actually, I have nothing bad to say on the 11 aside from I've never had a wow factor.

Saira Nadir

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2022
I am using a refurbished iPhone with excellent features and a reliable cost. I buy it from Phone Daddy, which ensures a warranty, money-back guarantee, free shipping, and a reliable price. I am delighted with my Phone. However, it's worth considering that a refurbished phone may not have the same warranty as a new one, so you'll need to check that before making your purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.