Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinoscool3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2023
I was hoping for better deals for Prime Day, but that's been dashed.

I can get a 2021 M1 MBP 14in 1TB and 16GB RAM for around 1500-1600 bucks. Or I can buy a 2023 M2 MBP 14in 1TB and 16gb RAM Open Box off of eBay for 1750.

Alternatively I can wait to see if M2 MBP refurbished will drop in price over the summer (I believe Apple is the only ones with refurbished right now). I'm looking for longevity. The hope would be this would be my main Apple laptop for at least 5-7 years. The other thing would be if Woot restocks sometime this weekend during Prime week.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Irrelevant, but I'd also have to buy a PC at some point for my gaming needs as I currently have a mid 2015 MBP. Its a beast and I hate to retire it, but its getting close to time (I'll run it windows only through bootcamp until I get a PC when the 2015 actually gives up the ghost).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agree with apple robert.
Get the Apple refurb ... that way you know what you're getting...

dinoscool3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2023
I realize that there are risks with buying from non-Apple, that's why I always pay attention to return policies, reviews, etc.

I guess that being said, is it worth to buy the M1 now for 1500, or wait several months till the refurbished M2 hits places like Backmarket for about 1700 (hopefully?). If buying eBay open box is a really bad idea.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I’d say if you’re trying to get the safest possible deal, I’d go with the apple refurbed model. You could wait for backmarket, but that’s not the same as getting one with applecare and the refurb warranty. Since these models really and truly don’t have any user-serviceable parts inside, I’d definitely get one with the full warranty. Need a whole new logic board if the SSD poops out.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
My experience from last month (was looking for an Intel 15-16 MBP):
1) eBay private user and claimed perfect condition: serial number from motherboard differed from case serial number. Motherboard/fan were missing screws and showed signs of tampering.
2) eBay commercial dealer: Claimed sealed box with full Apple warranty. Checked serial number here and contacted Apple: device went online over 1 year ago so no Apple warranty anymore and apparently re-sealed box by the seller!
3) Finally went with official Apple Refurbished. All good (besides a smelly USB-C cable).

Reactions: estabya

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
My experience from last month (was looking for an Intel 15-16 MBP):
1) eBay private user and claimed perfect condition: serial number from motherboard differed from case serial number. Motherboard/fan were missing screws and showed signs of tampering.
2) eBay commercial dealer: Claimed sealed box with full Apple warranty. Checked serial number here and contacted Apple: device went online over 1 year ago so no Apple warranty anymore and apparently re-sealed box by the seller!
3) Finally went with official Apple Refurbished. All good (besides a smelly USB-C cable).

I’ve had similar experiences. Of the 4 MacBooks I have purchased from eBay over the years only ONE actually arrived as described and didn’t get sent back.

I’ve purchased 3 refurbished machines from Apple and have zero complaints.

Reactions: arw

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Heck, I’ll sell you one for $1,650.

Just like eBay, you won’t actually get what you’re paying for. But if you buy from me, you’ll at least be supporting a MacRumors member 😉

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
Huh. I bought a used M1 mini, used Samsung Galaxy tab, and used Samsung phone off eBay commercial sellers. They've been as advertised.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
That's the thing with eBay and non-Apple-authorized sellers. You can get a bargain but it's a gamble.
With Apple Refurbished you're simply on the safe side.
Some people just don't want to play the eBay lottery anymore.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Huh. I bought a used M1 mini, used Samsung Galaxy tab, and used Samsung phone off eBay commercial sellers. They've been as advertised.

Obviously a decent quantity or even most eBay sellers are legit. But there are enough sketchy ones out there that it's a risk. And even the ones that aren't normally sketchy sometimes don't care enough when something goes wrong.

Reactions: arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.