Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doozenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2023
Looking to replace wife's iPhone XR 128 GB with an iPhone 14 Plus 512 GB (purple/starlight). Was planning to wait at least till the 15s are announced in Sept to see the $100 price drop at minimum.

For context, I've purchased all prior iPhones (4/5/7/XR/12mini) brand new the minute pre-orders opened since 2011. Not knowing the fate of the mini, I just took the plunge on a 13 mini 256 GB from Amazon Renewed for roughly 30% cheaper than new ($485) to replace my quickly aging 12 mini. Color me impressed with the renewed experience so far (seller = Trademore); was expecting worse but it's virtually flawless and on a 90-day Amazon return policy. Also snagged a midnight Apple leather case for it in the Very Good section on Amazon for $40 and it too looks and feels brand new.

A sucker for deals, now looking around at some more refurbished sites and came across some pretty decent-looking deals on the 14 Plus. It's not necessarily about affordability for me, and it's not about getting the best/newest phone anymore. There's just something appealing to me about maximizing value while minimizing risk (and I resell all my phones private party as well). Maybe it's just me being in my 40s and being a dad now.

Rather new here, so forgive me if this is a forum faux pas, as a quick search here shows most users here would NEVER consider refurbished. I know Apple refurbished are the best quality in this market, and might snag one if/when the 14 Plus makes it there and my timing is good, but guessing the deals to be had elsewhere are potentially better. My only real stipulation is that there's a relatively easy/generous return policy in case I get a bad apple (hehe), so the used private party sites are no-fly zones for me. Anyone with thoughts on the following:

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN97HDLB/ref=twister_B0BY5V82W4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reebelo https://reebelo.com/collections/app...age=512GB&color=Starlight&condition=Excellent

Backmarket https://www.backmarket.com/en-us/p/...ae63-48f5-904d-f514d0f112d6#l=12&scroll=false

Does anyone think the ~$800 range 14 Plus (~33% cheaper than new) will get even cheaper/increase in quality after the 15 is released?

Last edited:

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
Other reseller renewed iPhone can be renewed with $3 Chinese battery which can burn your home anytime.

Another problem is other resellers may not even response after giving you the phone and receiving money. You may take all risks with the unknown condition may be broken phone.

doozenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2023
Historically when do the prior generation iPhones appear in the refurbished store relative to the new iPhones being announced? Day of? A month later?

FuriousD

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
UK
Historically when do the prior generation iPhones appear in the refurbished store relative to the new iPhones being announced? Day of? A month later?
From memory the 13 hit the refurb store in Jan/Feb 2023 in the UK. Probably different elsewhere

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
From memory the 13 hit the refurb store in Jan/Feb 2023 in the UK. Probably different elsewhere
I think that timing was the same in the US. Also same timeframe for 12 series.

So probably see refurb models show up 16 months after their original release

Reactions: doozenberg

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Just be aware that ONLY Apple refurbishes phones. If you go elsewhere you are getting a second hand phone which has not undergone true refurbishment. That means it will be a complete lottery on whether or not you receive a satisfactory product.

The most you can expect from a third party is a clean phone with a possible battery replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.