Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesjanzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
This has been resolved; please see third reply for answer / mini tutorial for people who make slight oversights like myself :)

Hello, I wanted to make a little thread on the new feature of Yosemite where, through Quicktime, one may easily record their iPod/iPhone/iPad's screen.

At first, I was rather excited - I can't be the only person around who's wanted to make YouTube videos centred around iOS. Before now, the only real way to record video of your device was through Reflector, which cost actual money (the horrors!)

Now, however, I've found it to be a bit of a headache - not the video, which is great - but the audio. I'd like to record both my device's audio + visual, as well as my audio. Not only that - I ask for more, yes, more! - I'd (y'know, kinda) like to be able to hear the device audio as well.

Unfortunately, given that Yosemite is rather new, I can't seem to find anything on this...

I know if you want to record your own computer sounds and so on, there is an infrastructure set up with Aggregate devices and whatnot. When trying to do such things with iPod audio, I found there really wasn't a way...

So, yes, a rather long-winded question to pose, but basically, is there a way to mess with the incoming device audio in order to ...errr... split it between Quicktime & your headphones (whether they be plugged into the iPod or computer... either or)

Thanks!

...hope this is the right forum.

Last edited:

jamesjanzen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
I just know a lot of video casters use Screen Flow using a Good USB microphone like ones from Blue Microphones.

Ah, I've heard about that one before.

Yeah, the main question is if we can do that kind of thing with QuickTime. You can if you're recording your Mac screen, but not your iDevice - as far as I know.

Tests I've done so far mostly show that the second you start recording your iDevice screen, it starts outputting all sound directly into QuickTime rather than letting you choose where it goes.

----------

Well then, I've managed to figure it out... nothing complicated, actually, was required, which makes me want to do a bit of a head-desk at my complete oversight.

What I wanted (which I'd assume most video-creators want) is the following:

Input (To QT)
-My audio
-iDevice audio

-iDevice screen

Output (To my headphones)
-iDevice audio

I just figured out how to do this, and I hope it helps somebody...

1. Record your audio using a QT audio recording.
2. Record iDevice screen + audio using QT movie recording.
3. When viewing (before beginning the QT recording) your preview for the QT movie on your Mac screen, there should be your average "Start Recording" and whatnot buttons. There's also a slider marked with a volume icon. Sliding it to the right will do something I never realized was useful - echo all audio coming into the QT recording.
4. Now that this is done, the audio from your iDevice should be echoed through QT to your headphones (which are plugged in, along with your mic, to your computer)

I am hoping right now that this isn't one of those super obvious things I just totally missed... sigh.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Stupid question, I'm sure, but how do you record your iPhone's screen using QT? Can't figure it out for the life of me.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Stupid question, I'm sure, but how do you record your iPhone's screen using QT? Can't figure it out for the life of me.

Your device needs to be on iOS8. All you need to do is select it as the input (using the down arrow right next to the record button) before you record.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! New movie recording, not screen. D'oh! But glad I figured this out.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-11-11 02.41.40.png
    Screenshot 2014-11-11 02.41.40.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.