Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Read UPDATE below!
-----

Hello all!

I've been banging my head for 3-days already and thinking about what Mac Mini to get.

Currently, I'm using a Macbook Air M2 (base model) with Studio Display. I can do all that I want on this machine, but I would like to preserve my laptop as much as possible. I have always been a desktop user (just sold my iMac 2019, base model with 24 GB RAM), but I need a laptop for my work (just for light office work).

So, as I am without a desktop computer now (with Studio Display) and thinking about my needs.

My workflow: office apps (Word, Excell, Pages, Numbers...), Mail, Messages, Safari, ... many stock Apple apps, Firefox, VS Code (light use), Pixelmator Pro (light use), Sibelius or MuseScore (music notation apps), RSS reader app, light gaming occasionally...

From Activity Monitor:

1695062358470.png

But this is after the restart. So usually I have around 2GB of swap memory used. But it all works without a problem.

So, I can do all this on my entry-level Macbook Air M2, but I am considering the future. Should I buy:
  • Mac Mini M2 8/256
  • Mac Mini M2 Pro 16/512
I should mention I don't need a lot of storage, as I own two NAS devices.

Also, Mac Mini M2 16/256 is a BTO computer, which is quite expensive in our country. For less than 300 € more, I can get the Pro version.

BUT, my question here is about the entry-level Mac Mini M2 8/256:
  • Is this enough for my needs?
  • Should I buy the entry-level and change to another entry-level in about 2-3 years? That way I always have a new chip inside.
  • Or should I go with the Mac Mini M2 Pro for peace of mind and longevity (and use it for 4-5 years)? I have a feeling this one should be similar to my previous iMac with 24 GB RAM.

I am just confused. I know, buy what you can, but I don't need a machine that is too powerful for my needs as this is kind of a waste of money. But then again the base model...

I would especially like to hear those with the base model Mac Mini M2 8/256 and those with Mac Mini M2 Pro 16/512 - experience, regrets, overkill...

Thank you for any thoughts.

==================

UPDATE:

In the end, I chose another Mac Mini M2:

First month with M2 Mac Mini 8/512: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ce.2403061/page-2?post=32782006#post-32782006

I am updating this thread with my observations. Check my posts in this thread.

Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Without going further into the 8 vs. 16 GB discussion (I have no personal AS experience but would not go below 16 GB again), depending on your country, it might be worth looking at reputable sellers outside of the official Apple Store.
For example in Germany, you pay +470 € or +55% more for upgrading from 16 GB M2 to M2 Pro.
From your description, this sounds like unnecessary money to spend.

Mac mini M2 16 GB: <850 € (256GB SSD) [idealo]
Mac mini M2 Pro base config: <1320 € (512GB SSD) [idealo]
(Official Apple: 930 € vs. 1.550 € (+620 € or +40%) )

That's my personal recommendation in regard to your mentioned intended usage but it depends on the actual prices in your country. Others may see it completely different.
- Person A is happy even with 8 GB and swapping.
- Person B will say the single NAND SSD speeds of the 256 GB versions (~ 1.300 MB/s) are unusably slow.
- Person C will say for future proofing don't go below the base M2 Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: macuros

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Thank you both for the reply. I totally understand that it is up to user preference and money willing to spend on a Mac Mini model.

In my country:
  • Mac Mini M2 16 GB (256 GB) = 1,025 €
  • Mac Mini M2 16 GB (512 GB) = 1,275 €
But if I order a Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB (512 GB) from Amazon DE, I get it for 1,318 €.

@arw Thank you for the links. I've found this:

1695103318297.png

Looks like a nice deal, they are shipping also to my country, but I am totally not familiar with this dealer. Also curious, how come they have so many BTO models in stock? In my country, for BTO models I have to wait 3-5 weeks.

And with persons (A, B, C) you nailed it. That's why all those questions come to my mind and I know it is up to me to decide :)

Just curious about others' thoughts.

Reactions: turk101 and arw

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
jacob.de is a very respectable seller I have ordered several times from. Fair prices, fast shipping and great customer service.
Perhaps they have BTO configs on stock for B2B customers... no idea.

Reactions: macuros

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Great news! Now you've got me thinking about this model (16/256) over the Pro.

Reactions: mr_jomo

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I'm with Fishrrman on this. I bought a Mac Mini M2 Pro base model after much deliberation. I decided that the 16Gb memory, 512Gb storage (speedier than 256 version, I believe) and extra ports plus the Pro chip, 10-core CPU and 16-core GPU and enhanced memory bandwidth all added up to convincing features for a machine I hope to use as a work and 'leisure' tool for five, six or even seven years. All my previous machines have provided that length of service despite being entry-level versions. This time I decided that the extra cost was well worth being able to relax without worrying that the memory would be insufficient, or the storage, or the number of ports. I won't tax the machine doing what I do – text stuff mainly, web browsing and music/film consumption but I have peace of mind and a great little computer for whatever comes its way. Now I just have to resist splashing out on an Apple Studio Display.

Reactions: Benhama and macuros

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
No, they've generally behaved very well: Intel MacBook Airs and white MacBook, G3 iMac, 030 Performa 450 (back in the mid-90s, I did reach the limits with that one when doing ambitious text-based desktop publishing; different era though and different technology). All were excellent tools with basic memory and lowest storage available. However, they really had no video or other graphics demands placed on them – no large photos to be manipulated or such.

Editing and publishing is my game (not computer games) so I generally didn't challenge the Macs too much at all after those early days. With the Mac Mini Pro more recently, I just thought, 'What the hell, may as well go for it and enjoy the leg room,' and was in the financial position to do so. Ah, I've just remembered that I did get £140 discount too, which contributed to my Mac Mini Pro choice. I had originally been very tempted just to go with the M1 entry level Mac Mini because the price was incredibly good (it too discounted) and I imagine it would have done everything I needed it to do.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asks:
"Have you ever had any problems with memory or performance on those entry-level Minis?"

The problem with "entry level" is you get the absolute minimum amount of RAM.
The computer will run, yes.
But open up a good number of apps, or use an app that "needs RAM", and it may "bog down" quickly.

Here's THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON (shouting intentional) you can learn about the m-series CPU:
With the m-series...
16gb is "the new 8".

Repeat that 3 times while clicking your heels together.
And remember it.

Reactions: scgf

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
OP asks:
"Have you ever had any problems with memory or performance on those entry-level Minis?"

The problem with "entry level" is you get the absolute minimum amount of RAM.
The computer will run, yes.
But open up a good number of apps, or use an app that "needs RAM", and it may "bog down" quickly.

Here's THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON (shouting intentional) you can learn about the m-series CPU:
With the m-series...
16gb is "the new 8".

Repeat that 3 times while clicking your heels together.
And remember it.
IMO in 2023 8GB RAM is not enough, especially with more resource hungry apps coming out more and more. Its worth it to get more RAM i think.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
I had an M1 Mac Mini with 8GB RAM. It worked fine, but just running Firefox with several tabs open and my choice of email client, plus a few other smaller apps, Activity Monitor was showing an orange graph and my machine was actively using swap. I now have an M2 Mac Mini with 16GB Ram and a 512GB hard drive and the pressure is minimal. That Activity Monitor graph is so short, and no swap file is being used. I feel I have room to spare. I highly recommend 16GB RAM even if you don't think you are a heavy user. Some apps use tons of RAM.

Reactions: mr_jomo and macuros

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Yes, but with 8 GB RAM still everything works, right?

I am more and more in doubt about whether I need more than the base model. I already had a few days with more work (multitasking, Pixelmator, web administering, several apps open, etc.), but it all worked perfectly fine.

Yes, it uses a bit of swap (around 2 GB), but this is nothing to worry about. Not sure if the upgrade is worth it for my workflow.

Reactions: scgf

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
You are already using swap memory which will have some effect on the ss. I recently bought the 16GB/256 M2 and have a similar work flow. I show 5-6 GB used and ~4 GB cache memory. I’m glad I opted for 16GB. I will probably buy some high speed external storage and possibly set it up as a boot drive since the SSD is not replaceable.

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Ok, this one (16/256) is the one that maybe I would go for. I agree. I don't need more storage since I have two NAS devices.

I was first thinking about the Mac mini Pro, but this would really be an overkill.

Prhymeate

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Ok, this one (16/256) is the one that maybe I would go for. I agree. I don't need more storage since I have two NAS devices.

I was first thinking about the Mac mini Pro, but this would really be an overkill.
Did you go for 16/256 in the end and if so how do you find it?

I want to upgrade from a very old pc (2012 specs) to a Mac mini for basic usage and am stuck between the base model with 8gb or paying the extra for 16gb.

Part of me thinks I may be better getting 8gb and saving the money to buy a new Mac mini in 4-5 years time, but the other part of me is a bit concerned that 8gb might be too little in a few years.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I want to upgrade from a very old pc (2012 specs) to a Mac mini for basic usage and am stuck between the base model with 8gb or paying the extra for 16gb."

Pay extra for the RAM.
If you buy one with only 8gb, you will come to regret the purchase.
Probably sooner rather than later.

Alternative course of action:
If they have Apple-refurbished products where you are, buy a Mini from the Apple refurb store.
The reduced price should just about cover the cost of the extra RAM.

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Actually, I am waiting for M2 Mac Mini 8/512 to arrive. I already have MacBook Air 8/256 and it is more than enough for all my needs.

I bought a mini 8/512 just because I have found a deal - 100 € more for the 512 version. And I said, OK, Apple, you 100 € you can have. And with that, I also get a bonus of faster SSD (512 is faster than 256 because of 2 NAND chips).

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
There is so much writing about how 8/256 is rubbish... I will try to update the threads with my use case of the MacBook Air base model and now currently awaiting Mac Mini M2 8/512.

I just can't agree that the base model is rubbish and you need 16GB RAM. If that is true, Apple wouldn't sell it. For 85-90% of users, the base model is more than enough, unless you want to buy your Mac for 8+ years. In that case, I would go with 16/512. But I rather buy a base model every 4-5 years and it works.

So, happy swapping (for this case it is better to have a 512 GB model - will see the difference with that Mini I am waiting for) and enjoy your Mac :)

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
This is my current memory pressure on MacBook Air M2 8/256:

1699801905849.png

Several apps opened, just working the normal stuff. Sometimes the pressure goes to yellow. Big deal. It all works normally.

I can only say I am impressed with this base model Mac.

A few days ago, I was working in Pixelmator Pro, then editing a short video in iMovie, with two browsers open and other applications running. I didn't notice any slowdowns. So why would I need more? For longevity? What if I'm going to edit a larger video? No problem, it'll work, it might get a bit sweaty, but no big deal. With 16 GB you will drive at lower revs than with 8 GB, but you will still drive.

Reactions: Isamilis

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Actually, I am waiting for M2 Mac Mini 8/512 to arrive. I already have MacBook Air 8/256 and it is more than enough for all my needs.

I bought a mini 8/512 just because I have found a deal - 100 € more for the 512 version. And I said, OK, Apple, you 100 € you can have. And with that, I also get a bonus of faster SSD (512 is faster than 256 because of 2 NAND chips).
Probably people who think 8/256 is rubbish haven’t had experience by themselves using the machine. They just borrow their understanding from Intel-based Mac or Windows world.

macuros

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
If you are informed enough to have doubts and even look at active manager, you should get 16GB RAM
I am:

And my workflow is not similar to this in the video. So, 8/512 for my main Mac will rock! And I already have a MacBook Air M2 8/256 that runs perfectly fine for all my tasks.

For the 16 times a year that I would normally need 16 GB of RAM, I won't bother. The 8/512 will do it all easily, even in 4 years' time.

I will let you know if I'll regret this buy to confirm all this writing on the Internet. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.