Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcelog4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
Hi all..I´m new here.

OK..Can anybody tellme what can i do with that app?, I am trying to find some user guide or manual...but no luck.

I know that app is very dangerous..but if you can use with knowledge, you can do interesting performance things over CPU, RAM and video cards.

thanx for any info.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
marcelog4 said:
Hi all..I´m new here.

OK..Can anybody tellme what can i do with that app?, I am trying to find some user guide or manual...but no luck.

I know that app is very dangerous..but if you can use with knowledge, you can do interesting performance things over CPU, RAM and video cards.

thanx for any info.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/performance/overview.html

Reggie SE lets you examine and modify CPU and PCI configuration registers.

If you don't know you shouldn't be touching it... There isn't going to a how to manual and apple's computer architecture...

marcelog4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
superbovine said:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/performance/overview.html

If you don't know you shouldn't be touching it... There isn't going to a how to manual and apple's computer architecture...

Yes...i know that it is a dangerous app...but maybe some developer has some knowledge or how to use with out risk.

I found this on xlr8yourmac.com:

" Hello,
The new iBook can be overclocked in software. There are two PLL (clock multipliers). The register HID1 is used to configure them and to switch between them.
I have, with success, changed the clock to 800 MHz. I have installed the CHUD tools from Apple and done the following operations.
[Note - v2.0 of the tools no longer has this capability-Mike]

1 launch the Reggie application (/Developer/Applications/Reggie)
2. select the HID1 register
3. deselect the bit 15 (if it was yet disabled jump to step 6)
4. click Apply (we select PLL0 as source)
5. select the HID1 register
6. set the bit 24 and clear the bits 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30
7. click Apply (we configure PLL1 to 8x, so 800 MHz)
8. select the HID1 register
9. select the bit 15
10. click Apply (we select PLL1 as source and now we should run to 800 MHz)

Only 800 MHz worked on my ibook. But also, I didn't have the right documentation.
Regards,
Donatello

(I wrote to ask if the speed is reset after a restart (I suspected so)-Mike)

Yes, it resets to 700 MHz. It will be very easy to do a kext that sets the hid1 register during the boot. Currently, I don't have my ibook to try it.

I would like to make a correction.
Step 6, set the bit 24 and clear the bits 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30
[I corrected this in the original remarks above-Mike]
Else I have two remarks:
- the new iBook use a version 1.2 of the 750FX. The fully featured 750FX, able to reach 1GHz, are the 2.0.
- Reggie lets the user enter any value. So it could be dangerous for the iBook because the maximum frequency allowed is 2GHz.
Regards,
Donatello. "

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/ibook_2002_overclocking.html

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
You have to know exactly what you're doing if you plan to mess with Reggie SE. I'd recommend taking a look at the datasheets for your processor to learn what each SFR does. And you can't just look for "G4", you have to search for the exact model; in my PowerBook, that's the 7447A. YMMV.

marcelog4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
GeeYouEye said:
You have to know exactly what you're doing if you plan to mess with Reggie SE. I'd recommend taking a look at the datasheets for your processor to learn what each SFR does. And you can't just look for "G4", you have to search for the exact model; in my PowerBook, that's the 7447A. YMMV.

Yes i know...here is a complete datasheets for my processor:

http://www-306.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/products/PowerPC_970_and_970FX_Microprocessors

But i don´t want see my DP G5 dead too soon.I have a little fear to experiment with my G5. Maybe my old G4 QS can be a good candidate.

Reactions: B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.