Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Just bought myself an unlocked iPhone XS from Europe with model A2097 (Global market).
If I go to the US, will my iPhone model work over there?

I bought this phone in Europe at a computer/tech shop brand new (UNLOCKED).

The reason I am asking this, is that I had a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone before switching to iPhone and Samsung devices that are purchased from Europe require a 5 minute call before the phone can be used in the USA. More details are below as to what I mean.

My question is, do iPhones have a REGION LOCK the same way?

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just bought myself an unlocked iPhone XS from Europe with model A2097 (Global market).

The reason I am asking this, is that I had a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone before switching to iPhone and Samsung devices that are purchased from Europe require a 5 minute call before the phone can be used in the USA. More details are below as to what I mean.

I've never heard of that.

Although there are regional restrictions that cannot be overcome (while stock). These include, Japanese iPhones where you cannot disable the camera shutter sound, UAE iPhones where the Facetime app is not installed - stuff like that.

If your iPhone is truly unlocked and supports the cellular frequencies of your carrier you should be able to just pop the SIM in and immediately get going.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

I've never heard of iPhones being region locked.

However, it seems that your iPhone model doesn't support CDMA. This means out of the box, your iPhone would probably only work with AT&T or T-Mobile (or their respective MVNOs), and won't work with Verizon and Sprint.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
As I posted, I bought the iPhone (Unlocked), which is fine. I can use either a T-Mobile or an AT&T SIM card when in the US since my iPhone is a GSM phone. Both T-Mobile and AT&T support GSM.
As far as I know, CDMA does not exist in Europe. Only in US.

However, I used to own a Samsung Galaxy phone and those are Region Locked. So just to confirm, is my iPhone Region Locked as described in the below article?

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
The OP should relax and be cool. Your iPhone will be fine in USA. If you click the link you provided and read the explainer it becomes clear there is not truly a problem with using Samsung phones in the US either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.