Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
Let me first say I am not the most computer literate lady...my kids are usually my tech support but even this seems to be stumping them. So, before I commit an Office Space type crime on this dang computer, help me figure this out!

Computer was gifted to my daughter by a friend. It was wiped by them using Disc Utility. We have searched forums looking for tips and tricks but cannot get this system to reinstall. The os was Sierra. Here are a few steps I have tried... I have attempted the NVRAM reset. I have it hooked up to an ethernet cable. I have tried to start from recovery mode but all the various key combos end up just coming back to Disc Utility screen. I have run first aid on the drive and it comes back fine.

I honestly have no idea what might be left to try. It just gets stuck in this endless "installation" loop. I even let this thing sit for 2 days like this just to see if would take this long to install. We have restarted and attempted reinstall 7.2 million times and I am just stumped.

Attachments

• 20230806_155614.jpg
    20230806_155614.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
What Mac is this? Does it support any version later than Sierra? I'd recommend checking the log and seeing where it's getting stuck at... that should tell you more specifically about why it's not working. I would think maybe installing some newer OS would potentially work better, because Sierra isn't supported by Apple anymore, and that could also be the reason.

stephro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
What Mac is this? Does it support any version later than Sierra? I'd recommend checking the log and seeing where it's getting stuck at... that should tell you more specifically about why it's not working. I would think maybe installing some newer OS would potentially work better, because Sierra isn't supported by Apple anymore, and that could also be the reason.
Sorry. Just saw your reply. This IMac go3s waaaaaay back to 2011/2012. My mom gifted to my daughter for school but only after having my BIL wipe it. Now we are stuck in an endless reinstall loop that will not progress past ~22 seconds remaining...even after letting it sit there for almost 48 hrs. How do I check the log?

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.