Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umbog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
A demo that I download has expired. When I try to reinstall the demo, it recognizes that I have already tried the demo and doesn't let me use the program anymore. Is there any trick around this?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
That's because a Lot of Mac programs also save a preference file -- which can be used to count/time use.

Calliander

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Re: reinstalling demos?

Originally posted by umbog
A demo that I download has expired. When I try to reinstall the demo, it recognizes that I have already tried the demo and doesn't let me use the program anymore. Is there any trick around this?

It depends. What's the demo you downloaded?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i would tell you how to get around this, but i won't because there is a reason that there is a demo period on software. when you try something that you like and you want to continue using it, you should buy it. by purchasing, you are telling the developer that their hard work is paying off and encouraging them to do more and update the software.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
i would tell you how to get around this, but i won't because there is a reason that there is a demo period on software. when you try something that you like and you want to continue using it, you should buy it. by purchasing, you are telling the developer that their hard work is paying off and encouraging them to do more and update the software.
This so true, if you see something you like go buy it and play it a million times.

Calliander

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by mnkeybsness

That was my line of thinking. :)

Although, if it's MS Office, I don't mind telling him how to get around that. Heheh.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
I thought Office had DRAFT written all over the demo version.

Anyways, I agree with the others (and even though it's Microsoft) you should buy a copy.

BUT it doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg. I picked up a new unregistered copy of MS OFFICE from eBay. There are some that people are done using (upgrading to the one with Virtual PC etc) and as long as you get all the stuff with it (product cards, registration license etc), you're legit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.