Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melvin2232

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Need help. Macbook pro mid 2012 hdd failed. Installed new Samsung EVO 500g ssd. Cannot get internet recovery of OSX ML to work. We downloaded ML to another macbook and created a USB installer per direction of multiple youtube videos. On macbook we are restoring every step works fine. It loads installer from USB to new hdd in about 5 minutes and restarts. The screen says installing with a full progress bar that is spinning.....and thats all it does for hours. It never starts a progress bar with time remaining.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
It could be a problem with internal SATA cable to the drive that has degraded intermittent performance. A good test would be to put the new SSD in an external enclosure and see if the install works. If it works then that would be a good indicator that it is a problematic SATA cable.

If the install still does not work then it could be a problem with the USB ML installer. I'm assuming you were able to format (erase) the new SSD for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) & GUID partition before trying the install.

Melvin2232

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
It could be a problem with internal SATA cable to the drive that has degraded intermittent performance. A good test would be to put the new SSD in an external enclosure and see if the install works. If it works then that would be a good indicator that it is a problematic SATA cable.

If the install still does not work then it could be a problem with the USB ML installer. I'm assuming you were able to format (erase) the new SSD for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) & GUID partition before trying the install.

I will give that a try. Thx

Melvin2232

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2018
Thanks much. Took ssd out and connected a usb to sata cable to it and it installed ML in about 20 minutes. A new hd ribbon cable has been ordered.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.