Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
i have a non-standard keyboard that is impossible to do command-option-escape.

I don't want to change the modifier keys... but I do want to remap which keyboard shortcut is used for force quit.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You could simply hold the Option/Alt key down while you right-click a Dock icon to get to the Force Quit.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
I am usually stuck in a full screen video app and cannot get to the dock...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am usually stuck in a full screen video app and cannot get to the dock...
You can map a different shortcut by going to:
System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts and clicking the + to add a new shortcut.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
I only see this being available in Lion for Applications...

And I do not see force quit in the list of services et al.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I only see this being available in Lion for Applications...

And I do not see force quit in the list of services et al.
You can't do this?
ScreenCap 1.PNG

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just tried doing this, albeit in Snow Leopard, not Lion and the new keyboard shortcut does not work. Does it work for you? What alternate key combo did you put in?
It does work, but you have to select a keyboard combo that isn't already in use. For example, I used Control-Option-Shift-9 and it worked fine. Also, be aware that the Menu Title: must be exact. If you use Force Quit it won't work. You must use Force Quit... exactly as shown in the screenshot I posted. To find the proper Menu Title for any keyboard command, look at the menu item on whatever toolbar you're using.
ScreenCap 3.PNG

Last edited:

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
BC
wow - wicked - I had no idea you could just use the text of a menu item... (although now re-reading the text in that window it does actually say it, I just didn't understand that it was that flexible).

I used "command - /"

and it worked just fine (after closing the keyboard modifiers window was when it seemed to "apply").

Thank you!

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
It does work, but you have to select a keyboard combo that isn't already in use. For example, I used Control-Option-Shift-9 and it worked fine. Also, be aware that the Menu Title: must be exact. If you use Force Quit it won't work. You must use Force Quit... exactly as shown in the screenshot I posted. To find the proper Menu Title for any keyboard command, look at the menu item on whatever toolbar you're using.

Ok it does work. The trick is just finding a key combo that is not already in use, which is not many.

moncholo

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2018
I'm trying to do this in High Sierra, and I can't find the function "Show 'Force Quit Applications' Window". This is essential because in my keyboard (2017 MBP with touch bar) the Escape key is in the touch bar, and when a program freezes, so does the touch bar, so I'm left with no way to bring up the Force Quit Applications window.

How can I remap that function in High Sierra? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.