Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hi,

I updated my original iPhone SE to iOS 13.7 and was trying to use the remind me when messaging feature which provides a reminder notification when messaging a particular person...

However there is no option provided in the reminders app - it only shows “remind me on day” and “remind me at location.”

I also checked iMessage app and settings App but also no option. I then checked my iPad Pro 9.7” which also does not show this option.

I have checked online articles and they all mention and show the option provided in reminders app under the other remind me options.

Maybe the feature is only available for iCloud reminders, although I see absolutely no reason to restrict this feature?

I have done a hard reboot but this did not fix it. I don’t want to go through a whole reset for a minor feature and I’m not convinced this would fix it. It seems odd both of my devices don’t show this feature... and neither are installed from a backup.

Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
You need to turn on iCloud reminders for this feature to work and also upgrade your reminders database if you have not already done so. If you need to upgrade you will see an upgrade button next to your reminder list after you turn on iCloud messages.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Have you converted your reminders to the new reminder format? I haven't, because I still use an old iMac, and I also don't see that option.

If you're not sure, go to the reminder lists view in the Reminders app and look for a blue "Upgrade" button (only visible if you haven't converted).

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
You need to turn on iCloud reminders for this feature to work and also upgrade your reminders database if you have not already done so. If you need to upgrade you will see an upgrade button next to your reminder list after you turn on iCloud messages.

Seems very odd to restrict this feature to iCloud reminders only.

I am on the new look updated reminders app but it didn’t give me an option to not update on my iPhone - it just gave me the new version.

I updated from iOS 12.something to iOS 13.7 so perhaps this is why.

On the iPad it gave me the option to update and I did.

Have you converted your reminders to the new reminder format? I haven't, because I still use an old iMac, and I also don't see that option.

If you're not sure, go to the reminder lists view in the Reminders app and look for a blue "Upgrade" button (only visible if you haven't converted).

I have the new look updated reminders app. I was not given an option to update on the iPhone it just gave me the new look updated version. On the iPad it did give me the option and I did update it.

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Seems very odd to restrict this feature to iCloud reminders only.

You definitely need to turn it on for it to work. I am just guessing that iCloud is needed to ensure all your other devices are in sync and clears the reminder so it does not ask you again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.