Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I went through T-Mobile with a Jump upgrade. I did it all online. I tried to turn my phone in at a T-Mobile store and they told me I absolutely had to mail it in since I did everything online. I was pretty disappointed. I had to mail it via USPS and I don’t trust it at all, but alas.
I did not order online when I did my Jump upgrade this year. I walked into the T-Mobile store (just make sure it is a corporate store and not reseller) Ask if they had a 15 Pro with 512 GB and they did as everyone was grabbing the titanium so color selection was limited to black or blue I took the black model and then did the physical trade in at the T-Mobile store. I got lucky as it was the 22nd and they had product available. I also beat the rush of folks in the store later in the afternoon. As I was leaving with my new iPhone the line was out the door.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I've read that's hit and miss if you opt into the mail trade-in at the time of purchase, the store may not accept the trade-in device because it's in their system as mail-in.

I did an online trade in on my MacBook. The store wouldn’t take it because it was initiated as an online trade in. They only offered to drop it into the outgoing FedEx but couldn’t provide any sort of paperwork to prove I had left it with them, so I opted to FedEx it myself and get a receipt.

Might be different for phones though.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
seeing a large increase in the amount of reports of stolen / intercepted Fedex trade in. this is concerning

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
My trade-in kit this year was FedEx. And then FedEx stole my phone. Apple claims they received an empty box.

Not just FedEx but FedEx Ground which employs a different type employee than regular FedEx. My Ultra trade in has still not arrived back to Apple as FedEx Ground claims the box was damaged which is code for "item stolen by FedEx Ground employee".

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Just another PSA that you should trade your phone in in person. I shipped mine back via FedEx and it ended up in “Unable to Deliver - Damaged Package” status. Now I have to figure out how to get Apple to help me get something out of FedEx…
I always trade-in my phone in person as it is the safest way for me. Other people might think differently than I do.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
seeing a large increase in the amount of reports of stolen / intercepted Fedex trade in. this is concerning
Attractive targets... they know that in the days and weeks following a new iPhone release, there will be a bunch of trade-ins being sent back, phones that have been erased and have activation lock removed. While my assumption would be that these devices would then be reported as stolen, and blacklisted, perhaps this doesn't always happen (and even if it does, they are hoping they can sell to an unsuspecting buyer before the blacklisting process can go through).

Apple and carriers that offer trade-in programs should aggressively pursue this, and in the meantime should issue an assurance that if the phone is stolen in transit, the trade-in credit will still be issued. I ordered from AT&T, and there was no option in the ordering process to select to return the trade to a local corporate store, just to ship it. I assume that this method is logistically the simplest for them, but this epidemic of "damaged packaging / empty box" reports makes me very nervous to do so.

I'm going to try to return it in-store, but I've heard that store personnel often don't want to be bothered by this (especially if you didn't buy directly from them). If I absolutely must ship it, I'm going to use a different box... though the thieves can surely figure out that it's a trade-in based on the shipping label, I'm guessing they most likely initially spot their prey simply by looking for the telltale standard box size.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
My trade in last year got lost after I shipped it. I had videos of me packing it, pictures etc. and they denied me the credit and basically told me to f off. Had to pay full price for the phone and still going back and forth with fedex. This year I was able to do it in person and was much better and gave me peace of mind.
I’m not sure why you would be wasting time “going back and forth with fedex” when you need to escalate the issue with Apple.

Apple is the shipper, not you, so FedEx’s business relationship is with Apple, with whom they have a contract. Apple selected the shipper and paid for the shipping, so it would be Apple’s responsibility to handle this event. If someone in Apple’s customer support told you otherwise, they were mistaken as long as you used the trade-in kit and shipper Apple provided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.