Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I set the reminders to remind me when i arrive at a location. However it didnt sound off. Even when i opened up maps to check my location. However it worked before and i dont understand how it didnt work now.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Your brain is the perfect Reminders app. Use it. When you don't, you start forgetting things, since you're relying on a device to do it for you. Any device can fail without reason and expanation.

My Reminders app is empty and resides in the iCrap folder, along with Notes, Calendar, and all other useless crap from Apple. iCloud is disabled. I organize my digital life in such a way as to be independent of any ecosystem and buggy crap such as Reminders.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Yes, Reminders app is kinda buggy especially for location-based reminders. I recently used it after a long time - received a call and I hit the 'remind me when I get home' option. When I got home, there was no reminder, although it did remind me the next day when I also came home. It's definitely an app that I personally wouldn't rely on for important reminders.

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
Your brain is the perfect Reminders app. Use it. When you don't, you start forgetting things, since you're relying on a device to do it for you. Any device can fail without reason and expanation.

My Reminders app is empty and resides in the iCrap folder, along with Notes, Calendar, and all other useless crap from Apple. iCloud is disabled. I organize my digital life in such a way as to be independent of any ecosystem and buggy crap such as Reminders.

Why do you bother replying with such pompous garbage?

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Reminders still driving me mad. Thank goodness I don't use it often. Still doesn't work. Perhaps I should restore without a backup? Hmmmm

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Your brain is the perfect Reminders app. Use it.

My Reminders app is empty

This is all I read from that useless post.

----------

I set the reminders to remind me when i arrive at a location. However it didnt sound off. Even when i opened up maps to check my location. However it worked before and i dont understand how it didnt work now.

I'm having the same issues. I had a few location services turned off under system services since I got the phone, then after iOS 8 it wouldn't let me set a location based reminder properly. So first thing to check is make sure pretty much everything is turned on in system services under location settings especially location-based alerts.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland

I wish I could be you.

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
Reminders still driving me mad. Thank goodness I don't use it often. Still doesn't work. Perhaps I should restore without a backup? Hmmmm

I don't have an answer but I'm testing some suggestions that I've read about. First, make sure location services is on, and reminders is set to "while using".

I read that background refresh should be turned on (although I don't see a specific setting for reminders)

And I read that I should leave reminders open in the background (app switcher). I'll post back if any of this works!

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I don't have an answer but I'm testing some suggestions that I've read about. First, make sure location services is on, and reminders is set to "while using".

I read that background refresh should be turned on (although I don't see a specific setting for reminders)

And I read that I should leave reminders open in the background (app switcher). I'll post back if any of this works!

Great thanks for testing! Awaiting results! Still no luck for me here on the iPad. Used to work once after updating to 8.1 and now it seems it's bugged.

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
Great thanks for testing! Awaiting results! Still no luck for me here on the iPad. Used to work once after updating to 8.1 and now it seems it's bugged.

I set up separate location reminders for leaving/arriving my house and arriving/leaving work.

I made sure of the settings I mentioned above and double checked that reminders was allowed to use cellular data and location based alerts was turned on in Privacy settings, too.

I was hoping for alerts. Disappointed. But I was getting lock-screen notifications and Notification Center notices.

TouchID worked against me by opening past the lock screen so fast I could barely catch the notices there.

I got the arriving/leaving work notices as described (no alert :mad:) but i did not get a notice when arriving home. Because of my neighborhood's one way streets, I actually go into, out of, then back into the default geofence. So I have widened the geofencing around my home in the reminder such that once I'm inside it I don't leave it.

Mixed, poor results so far. I'll keep trying. Maybe 8.1.1 will fix it.

Last edited:

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Your brain is the perfect Reminders app. Use it. When you don't, you start forgetting things, since you're relying on a device to do it for you. Any device can fail without reason and explanation.

I wonder how we managed to organise our lives before the smartphone!!

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
I wonder how we managed to organise our lives before the smartphone!!

No kidding. We actually had enough RAM in our brains to store a handful of things to remember for a day: pick up kid from school, buy groceries, clean garage. Now we're Pavlov dogs classically conditioned to wait for thunderbolts from iCloud.

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
No kidding. We actually had enough RAM in our brains to store a handful of things to remember for a day: pick up kid from school, buy groceries, clean garage. Now we're Pavlov dogs classically conditioned to wait for thunderbolts from iCloud.

If you don't understand the tech enough to help why do you even bother posting?

This is a forum, not a comments section.

----------

The reminders give the notifications regardless of the app being open or closed. But they only show up in notification center or on lock screen (just until you unlock).

So, no way to get an actual Alert the way other reminders, iMessages, etc. Will do, one that requires user action to get passed. Oh, well.

Are you having any luck with yours?

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
If you don't understand the tech enough to help why do you even bother posting?

This is a forum, not a comments section.

----------

The reminders give the notifications regardless of the app being open or closed. But they only show up in notification center or on lock screen (just until you unlock).

So, no way to get an actual Alert the way other reminders, iMessages, etc. Will do, one that requires user action to get passed. Oh, well.

Are you having any luck with yours?

It works intermittently still... And I'm getting delayed notifications... Which just isn't good enough Right? Its a reminders app that's supposed to work when you leave or arrive at that place and the location should be refreshed every 1-2mins or so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.