Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Do the contextual reminders related to your vehicle ("remind me to do X when I get in my car") work even if you don't have bluetooth in your car (or the Bluetooth device you use doesn't ID itself as a car)?

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am going to say yes. I do not have my phone paired with bluetooth and still get the reminders when using carplay.

Kelowna77

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
Apparently the parking thing doesn't if you don't pair directly to your car so I'm not sure that these would work either,

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Parking is working for me without bluetooth, but I do have carplay.

Hmm...I don't have carplay or a Bluetooth connection that ID's itself as a vehicle. I use a third party Bluethooth receiver that is awesome (Knivio).

Has anyone been able to confirm if this can work without either of these two things?

I believe Google was able to trigger parking reminder without either of these two things. I would hope Apple can do it too. I really want these functions!

Kelowna77

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2013
Hmm...I don't have carplay or a Bluetooth connection that ID's itself as a vehicle. I use a third party Bluethooth receiver that is awesome (Knivio).

Has anyone been able to confirm if this can work without either of these two things?

I believe Google was able to trigger parking reminder without either of these two things. I would hope Apple can do it too. I really want these functions!
I also use a third-party Bluetooth speaker in my 2004 Malibu. It does not ID itself as a car either so I hope that they will give us the option of setting a Bluetooth connection as car

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

It definitely needs one or the other. I have been driving my GFs car the last 3 days, which has neither and it still shows my car parked from 3 days ago that I was using with carplay.

I think google was using the speed you were traveling at to determine that you were in a car. Apple is using either a bluetooth connection with a car or carplay.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
TRICKorDEVICE I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't post a thread about this topic (clearly you can if you want to) but I think the Reminders in car issue is directly tied to the "Maps and Parked Car" thread you posted and I wonder if it would be more productive to focus the discussion all in one place? Again, not criticizing, just wondering aloud.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
TRICKorDEVICE I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't post a thread about this topic (clearly you can if you want to) but I think the Reminders in car issue is directly tied to the "Maps and Parked Car" thread you posted and I wonder if it would be more productive to focus the discussion all in one place? Again, not criticizing, just wondering aloud.

I get your point, and thinking after the fact, it is probably something that can be combined. At the time of the posts I believed they were distinct enough features that two threads was productive. But if the underlying tech is the same, then I do believe your right. Thanks for being polite. I appreciate it.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I get your point, and thinking after the fact, it is probably something that can be combined. At the time of the posts I believed they were distinct enough features that two threads was productive. But if the underlying tech is the same, then I do believe your right. Thanks for being polite. I appreciate it.
Thanks for taking it in the correct spirit - I hesitated to suggest it.

The crux of both issues (car reminders and car map tagging) is whether or not the phone indeed recognized that's it's in/connected to a car I think and that's the mystery here; what does iOS use to determine that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.