Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wills11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I posted here, but then realized it was the iOS 13 board:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...om-icloud-other-devices.2223179/post-29366092

My Reminders sync is completely screwed.

I can see them on iCloud.com but they won't sync to my devices: iPhone 12, iPad Pro 3rd-gen, 2019 iMac 5k. All with latest software.

Tried everything—switching off Reminders sync in iCloud, signing out of iCloud, etc., etc.—all while rebooting in-between. System Preferences on my iMac was even beach-balling when I tried to toggle iCloud sync for Reminders, but that seems to have resolved itself. The only thing I'm able to do is (intermittently and only on some devices), to delete all Reminders and download them from iCloud—but it's only a one-way sync and when I change them on the device, iCloud.com doesn't update them.

My theory is that one recurring Reminder list (or possibly a single Reminder on it) is corrupted somehow—but since one can't mark a recurring Reminder complete iCloud.com (let alone delete it or delete its list), I'm stuck. Once in a while, a device will sync from iCloud—but never back to iCloud, so I am similarly unable even to delete my Reminders or Lists, to start fresh.

There's definitely something buggy with the list—it contained long-term Reminders, stuff I needed to remember far in the future. The first sign of trouble was an inability to complete or delete one Reminder (which was set as a recurring one, and kept popping back up even when marked complete or deleted on one device).

I can see the list in iCloud Reminders—but other apps can't see the name of the list, and the color is incorrect. For example, Fantastical can see the list, but it shows up with a blank name. See photos—first from iCloud.com, then from Fantastical's Calendar settings.

Anyone have similar experience, or any suggestions? I'd so appreciate it! Otherwise, I'm going to have to try Support...

12-08-2020-14.43.52.png
12-08-2020-14.43.41.png

ruarmani

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2015
It has been driving me crazy since I updated to Big Sur. It worked for few days then stopped syncing, once I went to settings, then turn reminders off and on it stopped working at all. Nothing, inbox in reminders does not exist. iPhone, iCloud, macbook pro with high sierra - all work, but not the iMac with big sur. I reinstalled the big sur, spent tons of time, it started working, then few days later I noticed it stopped syncing, went to settings again, turn reminders off and on - same issue again. All other devices work just fine. That stops me from updating my macbook pro to big sur. I guess I have two options, go back to Mojave on iMac or not use reminders on imac. Which is silly. Hurts to see how apple gets worse and worse. I am sure this issues has to do with big sur glitches. If I don't find the solution, I will just dump big sur and go back to Mojave.

Last edited:

**maestro**

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
I have the same problem and am furious! I have hundreds of reminders set up and use(d) them for work. How can Apple stuff up such a simple and integral thing?!?!

ruarmani

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2015
What surprised me was that i didn't see this issue happening often enough. I went through my whole system, libraries, pref, everything I could to try to solve this as i thought it was my problem. Now I hear more about it, which gives me hope that it will be fixed. I am quite sure it is a big sur problem and needs to be addressed. For now, I am back on mojave and everything syncs fine. I could not find a solution.

man1234

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2021
Same Problem. But I can't return to older versions of iOS since I have M1 processor. Terrible !! I came from a very old Mac and I used to share multiple accounts in Reminders what is no longer possible. I thought ok let's share, but impossible to sinc and even share a list is difficult since is almost impossible to send and invitation, I tried with several lists and iPad, Mac, browser and only received 2 invitations by mail. After several hours of waisting time I giveup. Horrible work Apple, maybe Apple is now in politics spending time blocking Parler and stoping free speech and their products are no more so important for the people there. I lost my fate in able products.

DZZ

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
Hey people!
Just create account cause have same issue and solved while a go.
Now not sure what helps so i am writing both solutions
My HW: Macbook pro M1 (big sur 11.2) iPhone Xr (iOS 14.4)
Reminders on macbook just saying that i need to use latest version (so yes wtf i am on latest versions ))

This is what i did:

1. I have also old iPhone 6, not using and turn off but was still in my iCloud account, so i have turn it on and sign out from iCloud.

2. In short timeperiod i also go to settings on macbook, click on apple id and uncheck Remiders, wait a while and check it again.

Whoala, i can see my reminders now.

Hope that helps!
Cheers

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
My experience for years is that Reminders never ever synced properly and reliably on my devices, no matter what iOS/macOS.

It is odd that Apple can implement technologies as Continuity and Handoff, and designing its own and very good processors, but not make one of its own apps working as it should.

Reactions: RPi-AS

**maestro**

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
Hey people!
Just create account cause have same issue and solved while a go.
Now not sure what helps so i am writing both solutions
My HW: Macbook pro M1 (big sur 11.2) iPhone Xr (iOS 14.4)
Reminders on macbook just saying that i need to use latest version (so yes wtf i am on latest versions ))

This is what i did:

1. I have also old iPhone 6, not using and turn off but was still in my iCloud account, so i have turn it on and sign out from iCloud.

2. In short timeperiod i also go to settings on macbook, click on apple id and uncheck Remiders, wait a while and check it again.

Whoala, i can see my reminders now.

Hope that helps!
Cheers

Dear DZZ,

Thanks for your input. Yes, that was the first thing I had tried, to no avail. I have been working with a senior Apple technician on the issue for the past month. It's definitely a major issue as even with a factory-reset iPhone 'only' signed into iCloud, Reminders still don't sync.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
hey heads,
anyway to avoid this problem:
Mojave Reminders won't sync with iCloud anymore?
  • iCloud reminders are available on your other devices only if they're running the latest software.
  • iCloud reminders created on a device that's running earlier software are visible only on other devices running earlier software. When you update a device to the latest software, new reminders on that device will be merged with the upgraded reminders and will be available on all updated devices.
  • If you create new iCloud reminders on a secondary device that's running iOS 13 or later or macOS Catalina, but you haven't yet opened the new Reminders app on that device — for example, if you used Siri to create reminders — those reminders will be lost when you open the app for the first time. To avoid this, open the Reminders app once before you create any new reminders on an updated device.
this is insane and total bullying by some  developers, not everyone at Cupertino
oh well im glad i can still use my brain and really do not need this data on every device.
kinda a raw deal or just another trick to buy an M1

ruarmani

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2015
OS update 11.2.2 fixed the sync issue. Now iMac syncs with all the devices. It proves that the issue was a Big Sur glitch.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
updated to Big Sur 11.2.3 last night and running iOS/iPadOS 14.4.1 and I have now got this reminders synching issue. What a pain. Apple need to fix this. Out of interest reminders is causing me battery drain on my iOS devices lately.

karenrowley

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2021
updated to Big Sur 11.2.3 last night and running iOS/iPadOS 14.4.1 and I have now got this reminders synching issue. What a pain. Apple need to fix this. Out of interest reminders is causing me battery drain on my iOS devices lately.
Same happening here, Reminders not synching properly across all devices. 2 hours of calls with apple later, where they assured me it's a two way synch; I turned off the only full set I had on my iMac only to find they've now all gone FOREVER.:mad: Also, on iMac and mac air, reminders eating up all my CPU and causing fans to come on. I pay good money every month for iCloud storage, bet they won't be refunding me.

Willie Heckaslyke

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
Switched to Google tasks. Will do for now. No battery drain. No sync issues.
You're right. The problem I have though is, I get the lockscreen notification, but once you've unlocked/opened the phone, there's no numbered red circle on the apps icons (calender, gmail etc...). I've gone to do something else on the phone, then (as the red icon's not there) forgotten about the Google Task! Is this just on mine, or do you get this too ?

Last edited:

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
iCloud syncing was and is an effing joke. Neither contacts or reminders sync from Mac Monterey since BigSur. Instead of introducing new emoji's, why would you not just finally make basic services work Apple? Why should I put more money into a new iPhone or Mac if you can't even fix this?

**maestro**

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
iCloud syncing was and is an effing joke. Neither contacts or reminders sync from Mac Monterey since BigSur. Instead of introducing new emoji's, why would you not just finally make basic services work Apple? Why should I put more money into a new iPhone or Mac if you can't even fix this?

Oh... not again... really? Ouch. This happened to me from Catalina to Big Sur. I haven't upgraded to Monterey yet. I guess I should wait... I don't want to go through all that again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.