Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amtrakgangsta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Emeryville, Ca
As a preface, I want all to know that I am anxiously awaiting the day where I can give to this site, instead of constantly taking but, unfortunately, my humble computer skills have not allowed me to do so as of yet...

Ok, so here is my dilemma.

I am attempting to set up a protocol so that I will be able to access my work computer from home. Basically all I want to be able to do is to access and modify excel, word, and other documents stored on my work computer from home, so that I can modify them without having to shuffle files back and forth on a flash drive (the files are big, and multiple people modify them, so I find myself getting stuck with copies of the same file at different stages of completion; two people inadvertently working on same file, etc...).

I thought this would be easy enough.

All of a sudden, I have found myself struggling to understand the differences between screen sharing, ichat, ftp and appletalk protocols, 3rd party software applications, etc...

If anybody could suggest just one proven method of accomplishing this, I would be eternally grateful.

Specifics about my two computers:
Work: apple PowerPC G5, running leopard, connected to internet via hardline through a switch.

Home: Powerbook G4 running leopard, connected to internet via wireless router. Only other machine accessing internet through router is my baby (nintendo wii) and intermittently my wife's and my iphones.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
The easiest manner without going into port forwarding and so on give a service called LogMeIn a shot. You install a small app that runs all the time and you can log into your computer from anywhere as long as you have access to a web browser. Its really slick, easy and best of all, FREE. They have a pay for version that lets you print to local printers and transfer files. Just a place to start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.