Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I have an iMac where I would like to access the files remotely on my iPhone. I downloaded an app called 'FE File Explorer' and it works well as long as I am connected to my local WiFi network. It does not work when I am not connected to my WiFi network. Looks like File Explorer is connecting to my mac using SMB. I am not sure how to get this working... Do I need to allow port forwarding on my router? I tried to add some ports I found online to my router for port forwarding, but that did not work. I tried the ports for SFTP (20 and 21), HTTP (80), 135, 136, 137, and 445. Does anyone know how to get this working?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'd think that you'd want to use iCloud Drive. All files put on your iCloud drive will be accessible from both your Mac and your iPhone, as long as both are logged into the same Apple ID. Use Finder on Mac to see your iCloud files (go to Finder-->Preferences-->Sidebar and ensure that iCloud Drive is checked); use the Files app on your iPhone to see the same files.

A similar solution would be to use Dropbox on both devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.