Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
When using my iPhone with the Apple TV, it can prompt for keyboard inputs for the password. The issue is, there is the button above the keyboard indicating it can auto-fill passwords if you have them. However, when clicking the button, the passwords function begins to act, moving the button the middle of the screen, but no request for Face ID happens nor is there the ability to enter into the passwords with a passcode. I'm on 15.1.1 on iPhone and whatever is the latest on Apple TV. Anyone else having this issue?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Huh, I haven't had this issue. I use 1Password for this and have disabled iCloud passwords. It's been a while since I've had to enter one, but if I recall: I click on a password field on the Apple TV Remote, I get a little suggestion for passwords, and then the 1Password thing opens up, I tap the one I want and it generally autofills. I also get prompts on my phone anytime the Apple TV is looking for typed input.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
This is in the Apple Remote app?
Yes. Basically, when the password screen shows up on Apple TV, my phone gets a prompt to "control" the input from my phone. Usually that also offers the ability to take advantage of passwords stored on my phone. But lately that function glitches.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Huh, I haven't had this issue. I use 1Password for this and have disabled iCloud passwords. It's been a while since I've had to enter one, but if I recall: I click on a password field on the Apple TV Remote, I get a little suggestion for passwords, and then the 1Password thing opens up, I tap the one I want and it generally autofills. I also get prompts on my phone anytime the Apple TV is looking for typed input.
Yes, that's the way it has worked for me in the past (but using iCloud passwords). However, when I click the "suggestions for passwords" that you reference, it doesn't load up the next step of verifying who I am via FaceTime and entering into saved passwords. Very strange.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Yes, that's the way it has worked for me in the past (but using iCloud passwords). However, when I click the "suggestions for passwords" that you reference, it doesn't load up the next step of verifying who I am via FaceTime and entering into saved passwords. Very strange.
Odd. I guess a workaround would be to look up the password in advance and have it loaded on your clipboard so you can paste it in. Awkward but anything is better than trying to use the on-screen keyboard.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Odd. I guess a workaround would be to look up the password in advance and have it loaded on your clipboard so you can paste it in. Awkward but anything is better than trying to use the on-screen keyboard.
I tried that. Ugh. But because it doesn't pull up passwords at all, I also don't have access to the keyboard to "paste" the info. I can only use the iPhone swipe feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.