Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asdasdisback

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2013
Rome (Italy)
Hello Macrumors users!

I'm posting here because I really need your help for my video-editing Exams. I know I haven't posted a lot here, but I've been following this website everyday over 2 years now, since I was looking for the right Macbook to buy. My english is a bit rusty, I'll do my best to explain. :) thanks!

Here's my problem:

I'll have to demonstrate my Essay in front of 6 Commissioners, like a congress, showing also the clips of the Movie I've choosed for my Essay (The Great Beauty of Paolo Sorrentino).

First, I bought the Apple Remote control, but guess what? the Retina Macbook doesn't have the IR sensor so the remote won't work on the laptop.

I do have an Ipad, and was trying to find a way to play these clips at the right time using it as a remote control, but I had no success finding one (Except VLC remote).

What I do exactly need is this:

I Need to find a way to choose a clip from a playlist of clips, on VLC or iTunes, while the commissioners watch my laptop during my speech. (like a DVD scene skip, but I need to access all the clips I have, following my speech and commissioners requests ). I can't interrupt my speech to get closer to the laptop and choose the right clip I need from the playlist, it will ruin my exams because I have a maximum of 10 minutes, and this movie is quite hard to explain in so little time.

I went to the Apple Store and spoke with a Creative, we tried Keynote but I don't have slides, I need to play clips, just like they were songs (If this helps you understand).
So we tried a iPad to HDMI, but the Macbook Retina has only an HDMI Output, not input, so it does not work.
I've tried teamviewer from my iPhone, but with teamviewer I can only take control of the Main desktop of my laptop, and my laptop Desktop must be full screen, showing the video.

My last hope is VLC remote, haven't bought it yet, I wanted to know with your help if it was the right App for my needs, or if there was another solution. Has anyone tried it? or is there a better App around? (Both for Ipad or Iphone)

Thanks for your attention!

EDIT: Solved in a strange way, Woah!

So, The REMOTE apple app lets you manage an iTunes Playlist (Also videos, but they are in the Home Video Section) BUT it needs Wi-FI.
So, during my exam I won't have access to a Wi-Fi because there's no wi-fi in the room. What did I do?

Use my iPhone as Hotspot for both devices: Connecting my Macbook Retina and iPad to the iPhone hotspot. And it Works, without a Wi-Fi Router!

But of course there must be the signal for a 3G-4G-LTE Connection

Even if my problem is solved, if any of you have other suggestions, I would LOVE them, feel free to comment even if the problem if solved, it might help me anyways!

PS: Why it is so hard to do something so simple?
I'll send a feedback to Apple once my exams are over. You should be able to use the REMOTE app only with a Single hotspot, or bluetooth maybe.

Andrea Di Cello.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.