Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kainrzog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
I have a macOS machine in the office, and I'm working at home on my Linux, or Windows desktop. Does anyone know about some good software that will allow me to connect to the macOS and use the desktop normally?

Default remote desktop protocol is VNC, and if connecting FROM macOS TO macOS, it works pretty well. But it's nearly unusable when connecting to a macOS machine from a non-macOS machine, especially if the target macOS machine has 3K or 4K resolution set up (which is most of the cases).

Kainrzog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
What do you mean? I'm only looking for some remote desktop solution. I can connect to the macOS machine just fine (e.g. I'm using SSH on daily basis), I already have VPN set up and working.

On Windows there's RDP that works quite well: it's possible to just put it on fullscreen and mostly it reacts quickly with only small lags.

But e.g. dragging windows on macOS under VNC is pretty bad (when connecting from a non-macOS machine). Sometimes the window is dragged 10 seconds after I move it. That's why I would like to ask if anyone of you know of some VNC client software that is fast with macOSes.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have a macOS machine in the office, and I'm working at home on my Linux, or Windows desktop. Does anyone know about some good software that will allow me to connect to the macOS and use the desktop normally?

Default remote desktop protocol is VNC, and if connecting FROM macOS TO macOS, it works pretty well. But it's nearly unusable when connecting to a macOS machine from a non-macOS machine, especially if the target macOS machine has 3K or 4K resolution set up (which is most of the cases).
Danger lies in your question.

First off, does your business not offer some sort of VPN access to your corporate network? You don't say if you currently have a VPN config set up.

Do they have policies regarding remote access?

And thirdly, if you try to bypass cororate policies you could be exposing the business to risks they're unaware of.

Sure there are technical solutiobs to your ask. However first get the legal and ethical ones answered first.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Then, if you can do this, there's bandwidth issues to talk about. We have a 1GB shared pipe and I still have to turn all the settings low on my RDP sessions to Windows over the VPN.

4K over a corporate VPN? Now that's potentially going to be exceptionally painful...

Reactions: satcomer

Kainrzog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
Ethical issues regarding use of VNC? I'm not sure I follow.

I already have a working VPN connection. I'm using RDP on daily basis when I'm connecting to a Windows machine, but when I connect to macOS machine through VNC, the connection is very slow. There is no such problem when I connect from a macOS machine to a macOS machine through VNC, even if the resolution on the target machine is 4K (that's why I know that technically my connection speed is adequate), but when I connect from non-macOS machine to macOS machine, then the connection is slow. It's like my VNC software I use on non-macOS machine doesn't support some extensions of Apple's VNC implementation (not sure that's the reason).

My problem has nothing to do with corporate networking. I'm not asking you to help me to connect to my corporate machine or to answer any ethical questions that may be related to this. That was just an example. I could just as well say that I have this problem in my local home network.

I'm only searching for a VNC client software for non-macOS machine that allows for a fast connection to a target macOS machine that has a 4K desktop resolution, nothing more. I know that connection to a 4K desktop via VNC is possible because *it works when connecting from macOS to another macOS machine*.

Please don't tell me about VPN because it has nothing to do with it. VPN is a bridge layer that sits on top of TCP that allows for connection of two subnets. I don't have that problem. My only issue is with VNC.

Last edited:

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
I've used realVNC and TightVNC to connect to a Mac with a 2k monitor, no issues. Is the Mac on ethernet? Make sure ethernet is also the primary connection. Set the wallpaper to a solid color.

This is low-hanging fruit that you've probably checked already.

Kainrzog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
Thanks for answering. Yes, I've already tried with the wallpaper as a solid color.

What's strange for me is that when I'm trying to use VNC in macOS-to-macOS configuration, it even manages to get a smooth VNC experience even when desktop wallpaper is set to some complicated image.

The Mac I'm trying to connect to is normally on the Internet. But I also have another Mac at home in my local network. VNC is better there, but still nowhere near the RDP experience I'm getting with a Windows machine :(.

I've tried TightVNC, but I honestly don't remember if I've tried RealVNC. I'll re-check to be sure.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks for answering. Yes, I've already tried with the wallpaper as a solid color.

What's strange for me is that when I'm trying to use VNC in macOS-to-macOS configuration, it even manages to get a smooth VNC experience even when desktop wallpaper is set to some complicated image.

The Mac I'm trying to connect to is normally on the Internet. But I also have another Mac at home in my local network. VNC is better there, but still nowhere near the RDP experience I'm getting with a Windows machine :(.

I've tried TightVNC, but I honestly don't remember if I've tried RealVNC. I'll re-check to be sure!

That's because most America Home ISP connections have terrible uploading speeds!

Reactions: dwig

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I use Jump Desktop for all my remote access / remote support needs. Works reasonably well across platforms, different connection types / speeds, and various screen sizes. Haven't tried it as high as 4K as none of my clients have screens at that resolution, but I suspect it'd work pretty well. Might be worth a shot.

Reactions: satcomer

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I've been using RealVNC for the last 2 years or so. I use it to run a 27" iMac with a second 24" monitor from various Windows machines. For a while, I was using a Surface Go with an external 27" monitor and now I use a Dell Inspiron 16 with external 27" and 24" monitors.

It has always been reliable but performance has varied depending on the speed of my remote/home internet connection. The office internet is very fast. My current home internet is rather poor so things are a bit sluggish.

scuthber

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2022
I find it had to believe that it's not possible to set up a Mac as a "terminal server". We bought a rack-mountable Mac Pro for our developers to use, but we're stuck with VNC to use it. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I find it had to believe that it's not possible to set up a Mac as a "terminal server". We bought a rack-mountable Mac Pro for our developers to use, but we're stuck with VNC to use it. Ridiculous.
By the terms of the software license, Apple doesn't allow terminal services on macOS, which is likely why it's not a feature of the operating system or offered by 3rd parties. Apple is in the business of selling computers rather than operating systems, after all.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

scuthber

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2022
By the terms of the software license, Apple doesn't allow terminal services on macOS, which is likely why it's not a feature of the operating system or offered by 3rd parties. Apple is in the business of selling computers rather than operating systems, after all.
That's why they live in California and all drive around in Teslas I guess...

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Ethical issues regarding use of VNC? I'm not sure I follow.

I already have a working VPN connection. I'm using RDP on daily basis when I'm connecting to a Windows machine, but when I connect to macOS machine through VNC, the connection is very slow. There is no such problem when I connect from a macOS machine to a macOS machine through VNC, even if the resolution on the target machine is 4K (that's why I know that technically my connection speed is adequate), but when I connect from non-macOS machine to macOS machine, then the connection is slow. It's like my VNC software I use on non-macOS machine doesn't support some extensions of Apple's VNC implementation (not sure that's the reason).

My problem has nothing to do with corporate networking. I'm not asking you to help me to connect to my corporate machine or to answer any ethical questions that may be related to this. That was just an example. I could just as well say that I have this problem in my local home network.

I'm only searching for a VNC client software for non-macOS machine that allows for a fast connection to a target macOS machine that has a 4K desktop resolution, nothing more. I know that connection to a 4K desktop via VNC is possible because *it works when connecting from macOS to another macOS machine*.

Please don't tell me about VPN because it has nothing to do with it. VPN is a bridge layer that sits on top of TCP that allows for connection of two subnets. I don't have that problem. My only issue is with VNC.

That because the Internet is like the Wild Wild West! Your question opens you to severe hacking and man in middle with over Internet! So if you dead set to open yourself up, go right ahead! That's why everyone is saying VPN Sever and client setup is not hard!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.