Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Does anyone know of a good remote file access app for macOS? I am not a developer, I need something that is simple and secure. I already tried AnyDesk - it worked very well, but I don't need to see my macOS desktop. I just need to navigate through folders & files in my home folder from another macOS, but mostly from iOS. Any help would be very much appreciated.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm able to do that via an OpenVPN server on my router running DD-WRT firmware, the OpenVPN client running on my iPhone, and the "FileExplorer" app on the iPhone.

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
I agree with mikzn. iCloud Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, or other mature cloud sharing applications are designed specifically for this.

I personally find that DropBox works flawlessly across Win and Mac. Use a strong password and set up 2FA on your accounts and using a well-know cloud service will be far more secure that rolling your own.

If you insist on remotely accessing files that are only stored locally on your Mac then you better have the skills to set up and secure a VPN server or SFTP server using public/private keys and specific allowed IPs only. If you open specific ports to the outside they will be pounded so make sure that your firewall rules and protocol configurations are prepared.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.