Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otterbotanical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
First and foremost, I'm an independent service technician, a customer came to me with an imac. This machine is one of a handful of company devices that the customer owns. He is upgrading his fleet of computers, and on this one, he used his iphone to remotely ask the computer to erase itself so that he could resell it. All of his computers are linked to his icloud account. He initiated the wipe, then removed the computer from his icloud account. However, immediately after, it only boots to a black screen with a lock icon and a password entry field.

Somehow, the imac (a1418) seems to have invented its own firmware password out of thin air. Because the customer removed it from his icloud account, I don't think there's a way to reconnect it to their account. I have looked into manual firmware bypass methods, such as the 3x PRAM/NVRAM reset method, but that hinges on being able to add or remove RAM from the system, and this imac has no slots for RAM, it's all soldered down.

Other than telling the customer to take it to Apple, who (from what I've seen online) will try and charge the customer for this fix, when the problem was CAUSED by their systems supposedly working normally, what can I possibly do to help this customer?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
It may not be a firmware password. Has your customer tried entering his iCloud account password at the lock screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.