Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
In Settings > Display & Brightness, the Auto-Brightness option has been removed in iOS 11 and set to on.

This is a terrible decision. Auto-Brightness has been poor on any device I have ever seen it, and iOS has always been particularly bad.

It is inconsistent and over aggressive. I appear to have a choice of it being too bright for a bright room, or too dark for a dark room. Except for the occasions where it gets it completely wrong. I was in a dark room last night, but the screen was massively bright. Maybe it sensed the light source, not the ambient light, but I don't know. All I know is it is a terrible decision.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In Settings > Display & Brightness, the Auto-Brightness option has been removed in iOS 11 and set to on.

This is a terrible decision. Auto-Brightness has been poor on any device I have ever seen it, and iOS has always been particularly bad.

It is inconsistent and over aggressive. I appear to have a choice of it being too bright for a bright room, or too dark for a dark room. Except for the occasions where it gets it completely wrong. I was in a dark room last night, but the screen was massively bright. Maybe it sensed the light source, not the ambient light, but I don't know. All I know is it is a terrible decision.
For most auto-brightness works fine and is probably a better idea to have it on in general.

That aside, the option is still there, it's just now in accessibility settings: Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accomodations

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
For most auto-brightness works fine and is probably a better idea to have it on in general.

That aside, the option is still there, it's just now in accessibility settings: Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accomodations

Thank you for that tip. It seems an odd place to put it, as are a few of the other settings hidden there.

One of the best things when I switched to Apple was all settings were where I expected them to be, unlike Windows. That seems to be going away.

Reactions: dk001

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010

I have never been able to understand this mindset... I have used auto-brightness on every iPhone since the original and it has always worked perfectly for me. Remembers the brightness settings for certain ambient light situations. It always seems to work 10x better than the other manufacturers phones I've used. Never even thought to disable it, in fact turning on my phone in a dark place and being blinded before manually cranking it down would annoy me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don’t get why Apple moved it and made it so hidden. Having it under display made sense.
The idea is probably that they see it as more of a default that should be on normally and that people who might want to disable it would be doing it because of some particular circumstances that might be more unique for them. So they moved it to accessibility settings--basically the option is there but with the idea that people would disable it if they really need to for some particular/specific reason (similar to other accessibility type of settings).

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
You mean putting a brightness setting 4 layers deep going through names that are not related rather than a section called Display & Brightness is not hiding it?
Because it is not where you want to be does not make it hidden. I don't think "hidden" means what you think it means.

You may find it inconvenient, but since if you want to turn it off, you only need to go there once, it is hardly a problem.

Besides, to adjust the brightness the option is directly under GENERAL in the settings menu.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Because it is not where you want to be does not make it hidden. I don't think "hidden" means what you think it means.

You may find it inconvenient, but since if you want to turn it off, you only need to go there once, it is hardly a problem.

Besides, to adjust the brightness the option is directly under GENERAL in the settings menu.

Hidden in the fact it is located in a spot that is not associated with its function.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

It is a problem because I didn't know the setting still existed until I got a reply about it here. Looking through Accessibility I found other setting Apple want to hide such as stopping the home button activating Siri, which it does even if you turn Siri off.

Meaning of "hidden": "kept out of sight; concealed." Yes it does mean what I thought it meant.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hidden in the fact it is located in a spot that is not associated with its function.
In a sense a lot of options can be seen that way then. There are all kinds of text and screen related options that are part of accessibility settings and not part of the regular display settings. Just as there are various sound related settings that are there and not in the sound settings.
[doublepost=1507157748][/doublepost]
It is a problem because I didn't know the setting still existed until I got a reply about it here. Looking through Accessibility I found other setting Apple want to hide such as stopping the home button activating Siri, which it does even if you turn Siri off.

Meaning of "hidden": "kept out of sight; concealed." Yes it does mean what I thought it meant.
They aren't hidden per se, but in a different location as they aren't really meant to be used as typical settings essentially, but extended settings usually associated with something that isn't seen as typical.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
In a sense a lot of options can be seen that way then. There are all kinds of text and screen related options that are part of accessibility settings and not part of the regular display settings. Just as there are various sound related settings that are there and not in the sound settings.
[doublepost=1507157748][/doublepost]
They aren't hidden per se, but in a different location as they aren't really meant to be used as typical settings essentially, but extended settings usually associated with something that isn't seen as typical.

True but somehow "Display and Brightness" does seem like the intuitive local.
I would like an option in Control Center.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
True but somehow "Display and Brightness" does seem like the intuitive local.
I would like an option in Control Center.
It fits there, sure, but from the point of view of this option not being something that Apple probably thinks that people should really play around with or enable/disable constantly, they placed it in a more of an extended options location where it's available if some real need arises for someone, while for most they would prefer it being enabled as part of normal operation and use of the iOS device. I'm not sure if that's exactly what the reasoning is, but basically speculating as to a fairly plausible rational take on it from Apple's side of things.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
It fits there, sure, but from the point of view of this option not being something that Apple probably thinks that people should really play around with or enable/disable constantly, they placed it in a more of an extended options location where it's available if some real need arises for someone, while for most they would prefer it being enabled as part of normal operation and use of the iOS device. I'm not sure if that's exactly what the reasoning is, but basically speculating as to a fairly plausible rational take on it from Apple's side of things.

I can sort of see it. Well ... not really ;) Do a second layer under D/B and note it as settings best left defaulted.
Settings needs a redo IMO. It has reached the point that many functions / settings are not located where it makes sense. Afterthought addons. :confused:

Aftermath747

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
I can sort of see it. Well ... not really ;) Do a second layer under D/B and note it as settings best left defaulted.
Settings needs a redo IMO. It has reached the point that many functions / settings are not located where it makes sense. Afterthought addons. :confused:
You can always use the search function. That’s how I found where the auto brightness setting was now.

Reactions: bwintx and dk001

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
You mean putting a brightness setting 4 layers deep going through names that are not related rather than a section called Display & Brightness is not hiding it?
Yup they added more steps to get to it for no reason.

Common sense says it should be under display and brightness. Silly Apple :rolleyes:

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Apple buried the toggle in hopes of fewer people disabling auto-brightness, which will increase average battery life for users. Ironically they made the change while switching to physically smaller batteries in the 8/8+. I’m sure the two aren’t related :rolleyes:

The auto-brightness toggle should be located near the brightness slider. Not under Accessibility, with the color blindness accommodations.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Reset your auto brightness. It works perfectly for me, it’s never aggressively bright, always perfect. Are you sure you aren’t tampering with the brightness setting when you use auto brightness?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I think Apple moved it because a lot of people would turn it off, turn their brightness to the maximum for a one-time situation, and then forget about it. And later complain of battery drain.

It's a tad user hostile, but it gets rid of that situation. You can still make brightness adjustments as needed, it will just go back to the battery-friendly auto-mode after you're done.

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Thank you for that tip. It seems an odd place to put it, as are a few of the other settings hidden there.

One of the best things when I switched to Apple was all settings were where I expected them to be, unlike Windows. That seems to be going away.

The only intuitive interface in the world is the human nipple. And some babies manage to mess that up.

Everything else is learned.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
So after tweaking with the brightness temporarily via the toggle/slider in CC, how do I reactive the automatic adjustment?

Every time I mess with the brightness Ill have to go through that 4 layers hassle to get it back do normal, is that it?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
So after tweaking with the brightness temporarily via the toggle/slider in CC, how do I reactive the automatic adjustment?

Every time I mess with the brightness Ill have to go through that 4 layers hassle to get it back do normal, is that it?

Adjusting the brightness in CC does not turn off Auto-Brightness, it just affects the base level that it works from.

But turning Auto-Brightness on or off requires going through the 4 layers. You could be using that a lot if you use your device for artwork, video, or app development, as you will need a consistent brightness level to appropriately assess the images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.