Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
but when it's not connected to a watch, it's fine..?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
but when it's not connected to a watch, it's fine..?

But its not, you are perceiving that. Additionally, if the battery is around 80% health, it is 100% unstable. One day you can get 12 hours of usage, the next it shuts off at 80%.

If it doesn't happen with your truck, which is not low-power bluetooth, but happens with your watch, which is low-power, something is wrong and that points directly to the iPhone battery, or you need to unpair and repair your watch.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
i'll check with my wife's iPhone too. she also has a new SS AW and doesn't use her phone during the day as much as i do. i'll see what she comes home with.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
i'll check with my wife's iPhone too. she also has a new SS AW and doesn't use her phone during the day as much as i do. i'll see what she comes home with.

You can do that, but not really relevant. 100 different things can determine battery life and battery drain. Even if you have 4 bars of signal and she has 3, her battery will die quicker. Or vice versa. The only thing you can do is control for the variables you have, and that starts by checking the battery health of your device. So when you get home, if its anywhere around 80%, its a consumed battery.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
and with all of this, my watch is at 97% health.

Your phone is at 97% health? If you are losing 30% in 2 hours, there is a problem with the phone, not the watch. That is massive drain. Not even streaming videos for 2 hours should decrease it by that. Literally has nothing to do with the watch. There is another issue.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
The other thing you can do to definitively test this is unpair your watch and go without it for a day, or, frankly for a few hours if your battery is dropping that quickly.

Unpairing the watch will eliminate it as a factor much more effectively than turning it off or turning airplane mode on as the phone won't be trying to connect to it at all.

The watch will automatically be backed up when you unpair and you can restore that backup when you repair it, so you won't lose anything (although you will need to re-add any cards that you have in Apple Pay on the watch)

Reactions: Night Spring

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Your phone is at 97% health? If you are losing 30% in 2 hours, there is a problem with the phone, not the watch. That is massive drain. Not even streaming videos for 2 hours should decrease it by that. Literally has nothing to do with the watch. There is another issue.

no, my watch battery is at 97%. my iPhone is now at 64%.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
no, my watch battery is at 97%. my iPhone is now at 64%.

Yeah the battery drain would typically be equal for both devices. Therefore its an iPhone issue 100%.

Actually, the Apple Watch should drain faster. Much smaller battery and is constantly searching for your iPhone. It is 8:50AM here. Both iPhone and Apple Watch have been off the charger since 7AM. Watch is at 98%, phone is still at 100%.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Yeah the battery drain would typically be equal for both devices.

I don't think this is an accurate statement at all. They are independent devices and battery drain will be totally different depending on how much each device is used. I have a new phone 7 plus and a new series 2 watch, so they definitely have good batteries, but at the end of the day the battery levels are totally different depending on how much usage each device got.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't think this is an accurate statement at all. They are independent devices and battery drain will be totally different depending on how much each device is used. I have a new phone 7 plus and a new series 2 watch, so they definitely have good batteries, but at the end of the day the battery levels are totally different depending on how much usage each device got.

I meant to say standby drain. They will be roughly the same. Thats what I have gathered over 18 months.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
here's one from an iOS app. not sure how accurate the iOS ones are.

IMG_6573.PNG

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I meant to say standby drain. They will be roughly the same. Thats what I have gathered over 18 months.

Even standby drain has too many variables for a blanket statement like that. It depends on the phone model and the watch series and size as they all have different size batteries. Things like cellular signal strength and settings on the watch, such as turning off the heart rate monitor will also affect standby power drain.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Even standby drain has too many variables for a blanket statement like that. It depends on the phone model and the watch series and size as they all have different size batteries. Things like cellular signal strength and settings on the watch, such as turning off the heart rate monitor will also affect standby power drain.

Over the last 18 months and the course of 3 different iPhones, my background standby battery drain for both my watch and iPhones are pretty much spot on, within 15 minutes of each other. If I charge both devices to 100% then take both devices off the charger and do not touch them for 2 hours, background usage will be within a few minutes of each other. So for me personally, I can say that stand by drain is identical.
[doublepost=1475772404][/doublepost]
here's one from an iOS app. not sure how accurate the iOS ones are.

View attachment 663450

This isn't nearly as accurate as Coconut battery because of iOS 10 limitations. But if you are constantly at 2 bars of signal strength, it doesnt shock me your battery life is horrible. Anything under 4 bars will drastically effect battery life.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
some chatter of 10.0.2 draining the battery a little faster than normal. i was on 10.0.1 beta before, deleted and updated to 10.0.2. going to lunch soon, i'll check the battery then.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
some chatter of 10.0.2 draining the battery a little faster than normal. i was on 10.0.1 beta before, deleted and updated to 10.0.2. going to lunch soon, i'll check the battery then.

10.0.2 has significantly improved the battery on my phone compared to 10.0.1 but again there are so many variables. A corrupted install could be causing problems, cell strength, temperature, something stuck in the background and so on. The drain you are experiencing is far too much for just the Apple Watch. If it was 2-3% okay, not 30%.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
..and i'm pretty good at minimizing the battery drain on my iPhone. very few background app refresh is enabled, privacy and location use is minimal, automatic downloads are off and so on. so this is why i want to believe it's something when the AW is paired with the iPhone.
[doublepost=1475775969][/doublepost]here's the results with coconut.

IMG_6574.PNG

Last edited:

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
OK, i did not put the AW on AP mode when i got home. it stayed on it's charger. my iPhone's battery was still decreasing faster than my normal usage. Had to charge it before i left work and again around 7pm or it would have died in the next 10-15mins of usage. before bed, I charged it to 100% and left the iPhone OFF the charger, i woke up to 97%. nothing running in the background and the AW still on it's charger. I will test it again tonight with the AW ON AP mode and the iPhone still off the charger.

I'll much take a 3% drop for roughly 7hrs. it's a totally different animal when my iPhone is being used. I've only had an AW for a couple of weeks now, all this time i was thinking it's normal behavior.

so last night, I went home and un-paired and re-paired my watch. i charged my iPhone 100% and left it off the charger. I also charged the watch to 100% and put it in airplane mode. I woke up to both at 97% this morning. we'll see how it does during the day. I guess we can confirm, at idle both are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.