Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Hi, I originally installed Catalina via Dosdude1's Catalina Patcher. It worked fine and all but I realized hardware acceleration for H.264 and HEVC wasn't working and updating to the latest version of MacOS was a chore. So I installed Opencore on my computer, those two previous problems were solved. I find having that patcher running is kind of redundant now that I have Opencore working on my machine, so I was wondering if theres a way to remove it?

I tried through the terminal and got this error:

user@Miguels-Mac-Pro-2 ~ % sudo rm -fr /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch\ Updater.app

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Patch Updater: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/settings.plist: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Credits.rtf: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AppIcon.icns: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/MainMenu.nib: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/Assets.car: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/UpdateManager.nib: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/Patch-Updater.png: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/PkgInfo: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app: Operation not permitted

Thanks in advanced guys

Cheers!

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
Hi, I originally installed Catalina via Dosdude1's Catalina Patcher. It worked fine and all but I realized hardware acceleration for H.264 and HEVC wasn't working and updating to the latest version of MacOS was a chore. So I installed Opencore on my computer, those two previous problems were solved. I find having that patcher running is kind of redundant now that I have Opencore working on my machine, so I was wondering if theres a way to remove it?

user@Miguels-Mac-Pro-2 ~ % sudo rm -fr /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch\ Updater.app

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Patch Updater: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/settings.plist: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Credits.rtf: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/AppIcon.icns: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/MainMenu.nib: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/Assets.car: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/UpdateManager.nib: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources/Patch-Updater.png: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Resources: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents/PkgInfo: Operation not permitted

rm: /System/Applications/Utilities/Patch Updater.app/Contents: Operation not permitted

Thanks in advanced guys

Cheers!
I think I've seen this mentioned before. If I'm correct you will have to erase and re-install. Hopefully, someone else will chime in for you.

• Sad
Reactions: TimmuJapan

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I think I've seen this mentioned before. If I'm correct you will have to erase and re-install. Hopefully, someone else will chime in for you.
Thanks man, yeah that's what I feared, hopefully there's a quicker way to get rid of it :/

Thank you!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Catalina system drive is mounted in read mode. You have to re-mount in R/W mode and it will work.

Reactions: nalk7

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Catalina system drive is mounted in read mode. You have to re-mount in R/W mode and it will work.
How does one re-mount in R/W mode???

Does this and the command to remove the patcher tool have to be done in recovery?

I’m thinking about upgrading my motherboard, so I too would like to remove the patcher tool without having to wipe the drive. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
How does one re-mount in R/W mode???

Does this and the command to remove the patcher tool have to be done in recovery?

I’m thinking about upgrading my motherboard, so I too would like to remove the patcher tool without having to wipe the drive. any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Make sure SIP is disabled

Code:
spctl --master-disable
mount -uw /
sudo killall Finder

Assign rights for read and write:
sudo chmod - R 775 /your/folder/

Delete it:
sudo rm -rf /your/folder/

• Sad
Reactions: TimmuJapan

freqrider

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2019

Thanks in advanced guys

Cheers!
That only removes the patcher app, not the myriad of modified kexts, drivers, nvram additions that the Dosdude patch installs. But as you can see, it works just fine with openCore. :)

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I think that people on this thread have made the process sound overly complicated. You don’t have to erase your drive. Just reinstall a fresh copy of Catalina over the dosdude1 installation.To remove the dosdude patches, kexts, patch updater, etc. is very simple.

I recently did a logic board transplant upgrading 2011 non-retina mbp to a 2012 non retina MacBook Pro.

The ssd inside the 2011 was running dosdude1 patched Catalina. After I put a 2012 board in the machine, here’s what I did:

1) I reinstalled a fresh copy of Catalina on top of my dosdude1 installation with a usb stick. This preserves all of my settings and files, just gives a fresh macOS without any of the patches.

2)when it boots to Catalina, the computer will prompt you to manually remove the dosdude1 patch updater. Search for the file using the finder and drag it to the garbage. You might have to open disk utility if the patch updater is running and force quit the process before dragging to the trash.

3) in system preferences, right click on the patch updater icon to remove it.

4) restart your system (maybe with a pram /nvram reset too) and voila, it’s all gone and everything is as it should be.

I think the steps that I describe should work whether switching to opencore or swapping out your logic board for something a bit newer. You don’t need to wipe the drive to get rid of the dosdude1 patches or do any fancy footwork in terminal. Just reinstall a fresh copy of Catalina on top of dosdude1 Catalina via opencore or natively(if upgrading logic board). That will remove most of the bits from dosdude1 and preserve all of your files and settings.

Reactions: freqrider

freqrider

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2019
I think that people on this thread have made the process sound overly complicated. You don’t have to erase your drive. Just reinstall a fresh copy of Catalina over the dosdude1 installation.To remove the dosdude patches, kexts, patch updater, etc. is very simple.

I recently did a logic board transplant upgrading 2011 non-retina mbp to a 2012 non retina MacBook Pro.

The ssd inside the 2011 was running dosdude1 patched Catalina. After I put a 2012 board in the machine, here’s what I did:

1) I reinstalled a fresh copy of Catalina on top of my dosdude1 installation with a usb stick. This preserves all of my settings and files, just gives a fresh macOS without any of the patches.

2)when it boots to Catalina, the computer will prompt you to manually remove the dosdude1 patch updater. Search for the file using the finder and drag it to the garbage. You might have to open disk utility if the patch updater is running and force quit the process before dragging to the trash.

3) in system preferences, right click on the patch updater icon to remove it.

4) restart your system (maybe with a pram /nvram reset too) and voila, it’s all gone and everything is as it should be.

I think the steps that I describe should work whether switching to opencore or swapping out your logic board for something a bit newer. You don’t need to wipe the drive to get rid of the dosdude1 patches or do any fancy footwork in terminal. Just reinstall a fresh copy of Catalina on top of dosdude1 Catalina via opencore or natively(if upgrading logic board). That will remove most of the bits from dosdude1 and preserve all of your files and settings.
^^^ THIS!

mariomp

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
Talange, France
J'ai fait la même chose (opencore 0.93 sur Catalina installé avec Dosdude1 mais le recovery ne fonctionne ni avant ni maintenant et mon système et toujours dans cet état :

J'ai fait option+commande+P+R (5x)

État de la protection de l'intégrité du système : Inconnu (configuration personnalisée).
Configuration:
Apple interne : désactivé
Signature Kext : désactivée
Protections du système de fichiers : désactivées
Restrictions de débogage : désactivées
Restrictions DTrace : désactivées
Protections NVRAM : désactivées
Vérification de base du système : désactivée
Il s'agit d'une configuration non prise en charge, qui peut se casser à l'avenir et laisser votre machine dans un état inconnu.

Ne rien faire ou faire quelque chose ????

Reactions: pullman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.