Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcbl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
Leidli T'enneh Territory
I recently came across my old A1211 MacBook Pro and brought it back to life with a SSD I had lying around. This one has the glossy screen option but it appears as though the glossy layer has started to separate from the screen itself or something like that. There appears to be a large amount of dust specks trapped between the glossy layer and the display itself. I had always assumed the parts were permanently attached but if it's separating does that mean it's possible to remove the glossy layer and effectively turn it into a matte screen? I don't really care about it being matte or glossy but all the spots are annoying.

Thanks!

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
I am sure there would be someone with a more informed opinion than me. I am not sure if it is possible to remove the glossy layer (I don't think it works like that), but no doubt that would be devilishly difficult if possible at all, probably not worth your time, and a high chance of ruining the display in the process. Since you can purchase a replacement matte display on eBay for less than $20, that would be a much easier and viable alternative in my opinion.

Reactions: dcbl

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
I am not sure if it is possible to remove the glossy layer (I don't think it works like that),
It would work if it was the other way around. On lots of older matte displays, you can peel off the matte coating leaving behind the glossy screen.

There is no way to de-gloss a glossy display. Best option is to just find a matte display.

dcbl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2021
Leidli T'enneh Territory
Gotcha thanks! I figured it probably wouldn't be possible/easy since I wasn't finding any info about anyone who has done it. I'll keep an eye out for a replacement display in decent shape and just go that route.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Are you talking about the anti-glare on the glossy screen starting to delaminate? If so then, yes, it’s completely possible to remove the anti-glare from the screen, I’ve done it on many delaminating MacBook Pro screens and they look great when it’s done. Reply if that’s your situation and I can post some additional info.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
I recently came across my old A1211 MacBook Pro and brought it back to life with a SSD I had lying around. This one has the glossy screen option but it appears as though the glossy layer has started to separate from the screen itself or something like that. There appears to be a large amount of dust specks trapped between the glossy layer and the display itself. I had always assumed the parts were permanently attached but if it's separating does that mean it's possible to remove the glossy layer and effectively turn it into a matte screen? I don't really care about it being matte or glossy but all the spots are annoying.

Thanks!
In the 2000s, I had the reverse done to a white plastic iBook with a matte screen. I sent it to a company that removed the stock matte layer and put on an aftermarket third-party glossy layer.

Last edited:

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Are you talking about the anti-glare on the glossy screen starting to delaminate? If so then, yes, it’s completely possible to remove the anti-glare from the screen, I’ve done it on many delaminating MacBook Pro screens and they look great when it’s done. Reply if that’s your situation and I can post some additional info.
It's a pre-unibody MBP, they didn't have any separate anti-glare coating. It was either matte layer or no matte layer (glossy). The glossy screen on these was just the polariser layer with possibly a thin layer over top simply to stop damages to the polariser.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
It's a pre-unibody MBP, they didn't have any separate anti-glare coating. It was either matte layer or no matte layer (glossy). The glossy screen on these was just the polariser layer with possibly a thin layer over top simply to stop damages to the polariser.
👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.