Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello
I have MacBook Pro 2015 running Mojave and it’s connected to two external Monitors.
I have a few icons on Desktop toolbar like VNC, Insomnia, LastPass and etc that I want to get rid off.
Various posts suggest simply keep 'command' button and move the icon out of toolbar but it doesn’t work for me.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
To remove app icons from the Dock you can control+click on the icon then select Options>Remove from Dock.

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 06.11.40.jpg

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Thanks for replying but I mean not the Dock but toolbar of the Desktop located at the top of the screen
Got it. You are referring to the Menu Bar when using macOS.

Removing an app from the menu bar will depend on the app and in some cases it is not easy. I agree with fisherking. I use Bartender to manage the Menu Bar.

EDIT: I have none of those apps installed so I'm unable to help you with removing them. The only simple solution would be to check each app Preferences to see if there is a selection to remove it from the dock (if you're lucky).

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Right. Not toolbar but rather Menu bar
These applications may still be running on your computer, so if you want the apps gone completely you may need to look for uninstallers for each of them. Otherwise, if you're using the apps but don't want the icons in the menu bar, you may be able to turn them off in the preferences for each of those applications.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
if you're ambitious, you can: quit the app, go to the app, show the package contents, FIND the icon, copy it to the desktop, delete the image (but re-save the file), and replace the original icon in the package contents with the blank one. when you re-open the app.... no menubar icon.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Various posts suggest simply keep 'command' button and move the icon out of toolbar but it doesn’t work for me.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks

You can't "get rid of them" because they're running programs. If you don't want them there, then your choices are

1) uninstall the software
2) configure the software to not draw the menubar icon
3) use software like Bartender or Vanilla to collapse the icon(s)

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You can't "get rid of them" because they're running programs. If you don't want them there, then your choices are"

1) uninstall the software
2) configure the software to not draw the menubar icon
3) use software like Bartender or Vanilla to collapse the icon(s)

4) what i suggested, in my post above. i had done that with several apps (that i wanted running, but did not need menubar access for). now i use bartender...

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
4) what i suggested, in my post above. i had done that with several apps (that i wanted running, but did not need menubar access for). now i use bartender...

Any app that still worked after you did that, I wouldn't want on my machine. You're compromising the signature on the application bundle.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Any app that still worked after you did that, I wouldn't want on my machine. You're compromising the signature on the application bundle.

i've done this for years. am not deleting the image file, just the actual image itself. so no harm done to anything. just a blank icon. all the apps i've done this for over the years were fine...

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
These applications may still be running on your computer, so if you want the apps gone completely you may need to look for uninstallers for each of them. Otherwise, if you're using the apps but don't want the icons in the menu bar, you may be able to turn them off in the preferences for each of those applications.
That’s my point. I don’t have the option to delete icon in app preferences

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Folks,
I installed Vanilla free version and it did the job.
It has its own issues like can’t start at login and can’t hide welcome message. Likely because it’s free
I am all set now.
Appreciate your help

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Folks,
It has its own issues like can’t start at login and can’t hide welcome message. Likely because it’s free
I am all set now.
Appreciate your help

So pay for it. It's cheap.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Folks,
I am all set now.
Appreciate your help

can't you just add it manually? system preferences>users & groups>login items. click the plus sign, find the app, add it...

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Well that’s the point
I added it. It’s listed now to start at login but it does not work :)
After I restart machine it failed to start hence I do it manually.
It’s not a big deal because I don’t restart it often
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.