Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gomobel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since I last visited the forums - although I keep reading the news and rumours every day :) I've got a little macOS question, I've googled about it but can't seem to find the right answer.

Yesterday I switched email clients, and after that I started reviewing the notification settings to ensure I got the badges and banners exactly how I like them. And just then, I noticed an app with access to my Notifications that (1) I don't recall installing and (2) it just doesn't seem to go - or be anywhere in my macOS folders for that matter.

It's called "ClamXAV UI Helper" - apparently ClamXAV is an antivirus for Mac, but I don't recall ever installing it. I followed some tutorials online to try to find the related .plist files and remove it, but didn't work. I then found an uninstaller on the ClamXAV official website, downloaded it and used it.... and didn't work either. I even actually, knowingly downloaded the ClamXAV app to install from scratch and then remove properly with an app like "AppCleaner", but the problem persists, and the little panel is still there.

It doesn't bother me beyond the fact that it's cluttering the Settings panel and probably linked to a programme I don't know or use... and I'd like to remove it, but I can't seem to find the way to do that. Any tips?

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm attaching a screenshot

Cheers!
Fer

OS is Ventura 13.4.1 (c) (22F770820d)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 08.21.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 08.21.45.png
    41 KB · Views: 94

gomobel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Thanks!

I've tried creating a new user and the "ClamXAV UI Helper" doesn't appear in the settings panel.

Edit:

Upon closer inspection of the plist file, I see that there's three lines that make reference to ClamXAV, all apparently linked to the following directory:

-/usr/local/ClamXAV3/bin/ClamXAV UI Helper.app

I've navigated there on Finder and Terminal and it seems it doesn't exist, therefore it must have been properly removed during the removal of ClamXAV, but for some reason the bits of code remain in the plist file.

Therefore, here goes the question:

If I delete .plist that stores notifications, wouldn't that remove my preferences for the other apps and programmes too?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.