Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veddabredda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
I just want spell check to be off for every text field ever please. I use English and Icelandic to a pretty equal amount and whenever I type in my own native language Big Sur thinks I've lost my mind. I cannot stand those red squiggly lines and I want them gone for good.

I have turned it off everywhere possible and yet the squigglies persist. I can spot spelling errors just fine on my own, but because I often type in a language that isn't available, they are ever present! (I have always preferred to have spell check off so please don't suggest ways to import Icelandic into the library folder blah blah blah, because A: I tried it, and B: I would rather turn spell check off altogether!)

I have tried everything. I have turned it off in every menu I can find (or been directed to) and found resources online for specific terminal commands — but they didn't work (maybe outdated because of the update). My tech savvy is limited and I just want a string of letters to paste into terminal or whatever so I can be rid of spell check for good — or at least for now.

Please help!

broadsword

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Have you tried:

preferences > keyboard > text > spelling > dropdown menu Automatic by Language
Scroll > down to the bottom > setup

untick all languages

You can also tick English AND Icelandic and the spell checker will detect the correct language you are writing in.

Last edited:

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
System preferences -> keyboard -> text - untick correct spelling automatically
Safari -> Edit (menu bar) -> Spelling & grammar -> check spelling when typing AND check grammar with spelling AND correct spelling automatically (or not)

veddabredda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
Have you tried:

preferences > keyboard > text > spelling > dropdown menu Automatic by Language
Scroll > down to the bottom > setup

untick all languages

You can also tick English AND Icelandic and the spell checker will detect the correct language you are writing in.
Yes. I have tried that. Again, I have tried everything.

veddabredda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
System preferences -> keyboard -> text - untick correct spelling automatically
Safari -> Edit (menu bar) -> Spelling & grammar -> check spelling when typing AND check grammar with spelling AND correct spelling automatically (or not)

I have obviously tried that.

Reactions: Quackers

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Try removing System → Library → Services → AppleSpell.service. That should turn off spell check. With Apple locking down its system folders, I can't guarantee this'll work.

Reactions: qoop

veddabredda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
Try removing System → Library → Services → AppleSpell.service. That should turn off spell check. With Apple locking down its system folders, I can't guarantee this'll work.
This was the most promising answer, but unfortunately it didn't work. I even dove into research on the possibility of deleting System/Library files and it doesn't seem possible on Big Sur.

This is a small, insignifigant but deeply irritating problem!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
This was the most promising answer, but unfortunately it didn't work. I even dove into research on the possibility of deleting System/Library files and it doesn't seem possible on Big Sur.

This is a small, insignifigant but deeply irritating problem!
Did you restart your computer after removing it? Might have to do that, too.

I work in a school district, and we have to do standardized testing. Due to the rules, you couldn't use spell check when writing the essay sections. I used this method to do that, and it worked. Of course, this was before Big Sur and Apple locking down the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.