Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
So here's an interesting situation that is very hard to search for (you'll see why):

I was looking to install the iOS 9 beta and got so far in the process as to install the profile and complete the download onto my device...but then I got cold feet. As this is my primary device and I use it for work purposes, I figured it was liable to cause a problem with my MDM service.

So, no installation was performed, however the beta is ready to install. I have since removed the profile, but the software update is still poised and ready to put on the beta. With the updates to iOS 8 today, I would love to install them, but obviously cannot since my phone is still ready to pounce on the beta.

Question is: how do I get rid of the beta sitting on my phone taking up space?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So here's an interesting situation that is very hard to search for (you'll see why):

I was looking to install the iOS 9 beta and got so far in the process as to install the profile and complete the download onto my device...but then I got cold feet. As this is my primary device and I use it for work purposes, I figured it was liable to cause a problem with my MDM service.

So, no installation was performed, however the beta is ready to install. I have since removed the profile, but the software update is still poised and ready to put on the beta. With the updates to iOS 8 today, I would love to install them, but obviously cannot since my phone is still ready to pounce on the beta.

Try a restart then check again for updates.
It may remain because you do not have to have the profile after you get the file to your device. Its only used to identify if you have access to the server with the beta software. Try the restart and check and see what it does. If nothing else, make an encrypted backup with iTunes, archive it, run the upgrade and then go back to 8.4. A pile of steps but it would in the end get you back to 8.4 or likely 8.4.1 since that would be the current version available.

Tomloes

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015

I believe you can see uninstalled updates under Usage and delete them from there.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Bingo, this solved it. Thanks ladies and gents.
Did it get rid of the annoying Software Update notification badge in Settings, though?

I was skeptical in installing previous public betas, so I had the profile but the update pending for a few days. I eventually got that annoying badge, and nothing would get rid of it. Not even removing the profile and rebooting. Only updating to the public beta solved it.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
Did it get rid of the annoying Software Update notification badge in Settings, though?

I was skeptical in installing previous public betas, so I had the profile but the update pending for a few days. I eventually got that annoying badge, and nothing would get rid of it. Not even removing the profile and rebooting. Only updating to the public beta solved it.

It did, yes. But it may have been because I also had the opportunity to update to the newest version of iOS8. So, there was a legitimate bubble when I removed iOS9 and after I installed that non-beta update, it's now gone.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
It did, yes. But it may have been because I also had the opportunity to update to the newest version of iOS8. So, there was a legitimate bubble when I removed iOS9 and after I installed that non-beta update, it's now gone.

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.