Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Does anyone know a way to remove red-eye from videos? I've tried using tracking and color balance in Final Cut, but it is too unstable. There are plenty of still-photo apps that can do this, but none for video. Maybe third party filters? I've got about 5 minutes of footage that I can't cut down, so any ideas would be a big help.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Other than using a color mask, meaning defining the red color and then reducing its saturation to 0—which is exactly what a photo app does, too—I don't see how. But on a moving picture? There's no way I see that happening with just the standard FC tools in any usable way. It's simply not what they're are geared for. Because that red will also be in the person's face, so if it's not 100% precise it should get pretty ugly.

You're in need of much more sophisticated trackers such as the one in Resolve or mocha etc.

The closest you'll get for free and within FCP is most likely the Boris Continuum FCPX Looks filter

which in fact has the mocha tracker in it. Whether it'll do exactly what you're looking for… no clue. But a very worthwhile filter to have either way.

A rough explainer video also showing the tracker (ironically with just the right thumbnail 😄):

But in the end that is a very tall order and I wouldn't get my hopes up!

Last edited:
Reactions: Algr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.