Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Im working on getting a more definitive answer to the heat issue. My MBP wiht Xp is running hot; then again, in OSX now it is running hot. I am installing Pshop again, once I get that Ill have it run some idiotic resolutions and filters in an attempt to get it to fullspeed fan; my question is, does this XP patch we installed affect OSX in anyway, or its abiltiy to control the system? I would think that if the machine is overheating with XP, the second you boot into OSX the fans are going to come on to cool the thing down, but that doesnt seem the case.

EDIT: As I posted this, I realized that I could hear the MBP fans at full speed from the install.

So: the fans are still under OSX control.
They do run under XP, but not at the needed speed.

This machine already runs so damn hot, its hard to tell exactly what "too hot" is!

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
RichP said:
Im working on getting a more definitive answer to the heat issue. My MBP wiht Xp is running hot; then again, in OSX now it is running hot. I am installing Pshop again, once I get that Ill have it run some idiotic resolutions and filters in an attempt to get it to fullspeed fan; my question is, does this XP patch we installed affect OSX in anyway, or its abiltiy to control the system? I would think that if the machine is overheating with XP, the second you boot into OSX the fans are going to come on to cool the thing down, but that doesnt seem the case.

EDIT: As I posted this, I realized that I could hear the MBP fans at full speed from the install.

So: the fans are still under OSX control.
They do run under XP, but not at the needed speed.

This machine already runs so damn hot, its hard to tell exactly what "too hot" is!

I went through that too. OS X was hotter than normal. Now. That I am back to normal, the machine is back to normal. Warm. Not OMG this this is burning me hot.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Even before this XP thing, there are areas on the strip of metal above the keyboard that ARE OMG this is f'n hot. I have a friend with a infared temp gauyge, I want to measure how hot that suface gets.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Backtothemac said:
Well, keep this in mind. They are running this hot, and the graphics card isn't even working yet. Imagine the additional heat that this is going to generate.

The graphics card is WORKING just not well. Your point about the extra heat is well taken, of course.

However, I can't beleive that someone won't be able to hack up a way to AT LEAST kick the fans into full speed mode when Windows boots. Seems like that should be fairly trivial...

Anyways, neat to see all this coming together. I'll be suprised, though, if next year sometime MS doesn't just market Windows Vista:Mac and just bundle an official boot loader with a Vista disc. :p

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Well, I got the machine pretty hot, and the fan speed is increasing, in XP.

Seems like we have control...going to run benchmarks now...

EDIT: Couldnt get SisSoft to run; BUT I am running a CPU burn-in prog right now...

WE HAVE FAN SPEED CONTROL! I run the thing, the fans speed up. Stop the process, they spin down.

I will specify this, however, I am assuming that all the fans are running. It sounds like they are, but there is no way to be certain.

PS: I cant get any temp sensors working with programs that do so.

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES
anthonymoody said:
That's what I was thinking - an open source solution that forces the fan to 'on' all the time. It's the quickest, dirtiest solution I can think of - no need for temperature/process monitoring. Just turn the fan on.

TM

a quick look through google reveals a few forum items with people wanting to overcool their macs.

Looks like the fans turning on and off is tied into processor usage and not set to hardware monitoring. Running temperature monitor on a new macbook pro (my colleagues) reveals only a hard drive temperature monitor (or im going mad) wheras my ibook has loads of sensors :)

Its controlled by darwin but Apple havent released the source code, its binary format only.

http://opendarwin.org/pipermail/discuss/2004-January/005241.html

guess someone would have to reverse engineer that and port it to windows or find some other low level XP utility for speaking to the fans :(

Wonder if this is being discussed on the driver wiki?

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES
HyperX said:
Has Anyone Tried Notebook Hardware Contol

I think this may resolve the issue with Fan Control / Heat issues.

that sounds promising but it might be ok depending on what RichP has said above, the fans ARE kicking in with him.

I guess we need to be careful when we're discussing here to say what kinda mac we have as heat and fan control might be handled differently between macbook pro, imac and mac mini.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Squirrel, I tried some OSX temp monitors on my MBP and I could grab any fanspeed or temp sensors.

Like I said before, the machine runs so damn hot, its almost hard to tell qualitatively if its running too hot, except when you hear the fans kick on.

It doesnt seem like XP is going to put the machine into meltdown mode, however.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yes

Backtothemac said:
Now, XP is fast. Real fast, and that makes me think that the next revision of VPC will be EXTREMELY fast because it will not have to emulate the processors.

You are exactly right. Win XP boots in _seconds_ when running under an emulator. Much faster then it does runing on the bare hardware. The reason I think is because the host OS caches the boot image and theboot process is not running any code out of ROM or having to wait while real hrdware responcs to "pokes". Win XP has been runing in Intel Macs on an emulator for weeks now. The recent news was the dual boot.

However emulators typically can't access the GPU directly sothey provide only a primitive graphic card for the virtual machine's use. Win XP "thinks" it is running with a plain VGA card. No quite what gammers want.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
MBP cooling

How many of you al are old enough to remember how they used to cool computers back in the "good old days".?

Basically you'd build a raised floor about a foot above the real floor and install A/C units so that the cold air was directed under the raised floor. So the crawspace was filled with super cold presurized air. Then if some machine needed cooling you'd cut a round hole in the floor under it and supper chiled air would blast up out of the hole
All of the equipment racks had open bottoms and vents on the top so they could be possitioned over tthese holes in the floor. The hole in the floor would be handy for cables too.

For today's MBP users this 1960's technology could be adapted.... Get a big old window mount A/C unit put it uder the desk, cut a hiole in the desktop so that the cold air blast upward...........

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I am back to a dual boot situation for the time being. I had to do it. I have an install that requires network configuration of hardwired access points, and I have to have XP to do it.

I have noticed that XP and OS X both run very hot on the MacBook Pro. Hotter than a PowerBook G4 for sure. However, I noticed that Apple removed the vents from the side of the MacBook Pro that were there for the PowerBook and iBooks.

I can hear what appears to be the fans kicking on in XP, however there is no way to know for sure as I cannot find any program that will allow for monitoring of the fans.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
well I still trying to figure out from this tread is the fan speed controlled by the Mobo or the OS.

Personally I think it is poor design to allow the OS to have control over the fans. Normally it a mobo lv thing to handle with out input of the OS. The OS can just read the what the sensor are reporting but the OS does not control the fan speed.
Now there is some software for some otherboards that allow of it to take control over the fan speed but only when it is running. if the software part is closed down the mobo takes back over.
If it is the case that the OS is controling the fan speed it could be part of the reason that XP is not doing it. It never was designed for it to handle it. It considered way to critical of a taste to trust any complex OS (and yes OSX is a complex OS) Something could easily go wrong in the OS and fry the hardware.

The most stable operition system are the simple ones. The stuff running the mobo is a very simple OS and not much can go wrong with it so it is the best place to run the critical stuff for the hardware. (fans and what not)

It a huge part of the reason that the BIOS is still around and more than likely not going to die any time soon. It is very very old but it still does it job very well. That is get the hardware up and running, controling things like Fan speeds and basic comincations with the other hardware (and I mean the basics, like read and write to hard drives, Read opical and floppy drives, display basic stuff though the graphic card and other input devices) and the other critical job is get the OS up and running. All the higher leval stuff the OS covers. The BIOS is Basic input and output. EFI for the most case is just a Basic input Output (BIOS) with the ablilty to do a little more opitions. But it should still be a lot like the BIOS. It interface does not need to be look pretty at all just needs to be easy to move around and change settings. The OS is there for all the pretty stuff and advance stuff. EFI only real job is to run the hardware and boot the OS not any more

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I believe this is how it works:
The hardware controls the fans (just like every other PC), as well as the fact that the CPU will speedstep down if it gets too hot, but I *BELIEVE* (not 100%) that OS X has built-in controls so that the OS can decide when to cool and when not to as well.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, that was a long 7 hours. My MacBook died. I recieved a Kernal Panic. Upon reboot, I had a flashing question mark. Nothing would work. So, I setup the install disc, rebooted, and went into setup.

Went to disk utilities and partitioned the drive to one. (I decided to stay away from XP again, as this is the 10 or 15th Kernal Panic I have had since doing the dual boot).

Went back to the installer, and it says that I cannot install OS X on the drive. There is only one drive. Repeat the partioning, same thing. Again, same.

So, I returned the MacBook Pro, and *gasp* went back to a PC laptop. Ugly, but dear God is it fast.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Kingsly said:
Apple took it back? Are you going to get a new one? I shudder to think we lost a Mac User. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Oh, I will always be a Mac User. I took it back to Compusa. I have a mini at home, but for now, I am waiting for Rev B.

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES
Backtothemac said:
Oh, I will always be a Mac User. I took it back to Compusa. I have a mini at home, but for now, I am waiting for Rev B.

what was the spec of your macbook pro? The wiki states that a 1.83 version has been running within normal temperatures (admittedly using an infra red thermometer)

can anyone tell me of software that runs on a macbook pro under osX that can be used to monitor temperature and possibly fan activity please?

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Kingsly said:
Whew, that was close. I was about to make an animal sacrifice to bring you back.
Note the the MBP was fine until it got Windows.
No, I had issues with the first one. I was getting Kernal Panics. Figured out that it was bad ram, but they persisted after the removal of the ram, but not nearly as often. I exchanged it, and then the second one completely died. Went to sleep and would not startup. Tried to resinstall OS X, but it said that the drive could not be installed to. Tried to partition, and it went through, however, after that, boom. Same thing.

So, I found it to be a little slow, and somewhat buggy. I just personally am going to wait for Rev B, but no, believe me, I will never leave the mac. But my job requires me to work in a Windows world.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
What was the exact spec of your MacBook Pro? What temprature was it finally running at? LOL @ The MBP was fine until Windows came along. Installing Windows on a Mac defeates the point of having a Mac...

P.S. Thanks for sacrificing your MBP!!

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
ChrisG said:
What was the exact spec of your MacBook Pro? What temprature was it finally running at? LOL @ The MBP was fine until Windows came along. Installing Windows on a Mac defeates the point of having a Mac...

P.S. Thanks for sacrificing your MBP!!
It was a 1.83 with 1GB of Ram. Standard config. I registered it at 106.5 degrees right below the LCD on the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.