Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msmay1720

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2024
hi,
I would like a bit of help with removing an adware.

I looked up the following pop-up:
someone is downloading files in your computer .. is it you?

I found a list of directions to remove it and started the process of looking up specific locations to remove plist files.
and deleted some, emptying trash.
i checked whether there was a profile, extension, and unfamiliar apps.

I looked up other directions.
similar steps.

Another direction, suggested checking for an updated ios so i updated to Sonoma.
Still these pop-ups.

And another Good! suggestion was to install an anti-viral/adware/malware program.

I started with free avg (now uninstalled) and MacKeeper to see. neither found anything.

i began getting the pop up with a variety of scary and threatening lack of security messages - they often refer to "McAfee"as the messenger of the pop-ups - I never had or used McAfee on this computer.

after spending some time reading various reviews, i then tried Avast antivirus - nothing found again.

When I restart the computer some of the suspicious files I manually deleted return in the trash as restored.

I returned to another set if directions to remove it manually a step is to find suspicious apps in the activity monitor, but how do i know what is suspicious - several new apps that come with Sonoma 14.1.

Does anyone know about the tyoe of adware and a removal app or steps that could work?

Many thanks for any and all suggestions.

I do have a kind of extended warranty with Apple - i think it is for hardware though and there are still costs.

Thanks again.
steph

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I started with free avg (now uninstalled) and MacKeeper to see. neither found anything.
I would delete MacKeeper, while it is not horrible, it does open a new hole in the MacOS operating system.
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/24onmd

I would like a bit of help with removing an adware.
This is often caused by browser extensions.
Does this appear when you are "surfing the net"?
If yes, which one?

Does anyone know about the tyoe[sic] of adware and a removal app or steps that could work?
You may have visited a website and authorized notifications.
This can be turned off here:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.