Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Hey Guys,

Just incase us apptap users are affected by the update this week, is there a way I can remove the entire installer.app from my iPhone? I'm using a PC w/ Vista. I removed all the software apps, but i can't seem to find a way to remove the installer. Did some Google searches to, and came back w/ nothing.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I don't think a restore completely clears the phone from apptap.
3rd party preferences are saved with the backup iTunes makes...I think. this is because every time I restore and put apptap back on, all of my preferences and such are still there.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
I don't think a restore completely clears the phone from apptap.
3rd party preferences are saved with the backup iTunes makes...I think. this is because every time I restore and put apptap back on, all of my preferences and such are still there.

I think the trick is, when it's done restoring, and shows up again in iTunes, instead of choosing restore from backup, click on "Set up as New Phone". I checked this with an Apple Tech. and he said doing it this way, will in a way "rewrite the OS software on your phone from scratch" you don't have to go through the activation process again, just click on the Set up as New Phone, and you should be good.

I'm just completing a Restore using that method now, will let you all know what happens when the update is released.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
YOU PEOPLE ARE KILLING ME!

So if I restore it and set it up as a new iPhone, how does that work?

what does a reactivation do?

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
YOU PEOPLE ARE KILLING ME!

So if I restore it and set it up as a new iPhone, how does that work?

what does a reactivation do?

Reactivating, doesn't affect your account at all. just follow the prompts on the screen. I've restored from the
"Set up a new Phone" mode twice, and nothing has gone wrong.

Just to expand on the Reactivation a bit, I think when it does that, it's just resetting the ATT info on the phone, it takes like 2 minutes for it to reactivate after setting up as a new phone, restore is complete.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
Hey Guys,

Just incase us apptap users are affected by the update this week, is there a way I can remove the entire installer.app from my iPhone? I'm using a PC w/ Vista. I removed all the software apps, but i can't seem to find a way to remove the installer. Did some Google searches to, and came back w/ nothing.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

When a new update comes out, just wait for the guinea pigs to update first and report their problems (or lack thereof).

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
With the previous updates, was it required to setup a new iPhone when you restored?

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
With the previous updates, was it required to setup a new iPhone when you restored?

I only installed AppTap today, so I can't speak for previous updates. But the only time before I did a "Set up a new Phone" restore mode, is when I plugged my phone into the wall charger, at night. woke up the next morning and it told me to connect to iTunes, did a backup restore and still didn't work right. so I called apple and the tech told me to do the set up as a new phone. and ever since then it's been working perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.