Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Nancy, France
Hi!
I just got a 16-inch MacBook pro M2 Pro, as you know this machine can last for looong hours.
I'm not a heavy user on battery, I need 8h top. However I would love the mac to be lighter.

So I was wondering if it is possible to remove some of the battery modules to reduce the weight of the machine.
Does anyone has experience with removing battery module? Is it possible? Is this idea dumb?

Thanks for your help.

• Love
Reactions: Gudi

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
The machine won't start without battery. So yeah, fairly dumb :)
Well, this is the first time I heard anything like this before. Taking out a battery just to save a little weight and I mean a very little amount of weight. 🤪

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
One of my old Macs - the PowerBook G3 "Pismo" (I think?) had a big slot on the side with a removable CD drive. You could pop it out and replace it with an extra battery to double your runtime. Always thought that was a pretty cool feature, and I normally had a battery in the slot because the runtime was really short on that old beast without it! IIRC, you only got about 4 hours even with the extra battery.

But those days are long gone.

Reactions: Basic75

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi!
I just got a 16-inch MacBook pro M2 Pro, as you know this machine can last for looong hours.
I'm not a heavy user on battery, I need 8h top. However I would love the mac to be lighter.

So I was wondering if it is possible to remove some of the battery modules to reduce the weight of the machine.
Does anyone has experience with removing battery module? Is it possible? Is this idea dumb?

Thanks for your help.
It is a terrible idea, DO NOT attempt. Also, as soon as you try to open the battery, you'll cause Lithium fire.

Not to mention, the entire system assumes a specific power draw is held and voltage can drop should the incorrect cells be removed. This means, you can seriously damage your Mac.

Reactions: Chuckeee

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
I'm fairly certain the batteries are in series, so this wouldn't be possible. If you removed one of them, the voltage would be different and the battery would be non-functional.

Reactions: chown33

sonique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Nancy, France
Thanks everyone, I think you took me a little bit too seriously. I mainly wanted to understand what is possible, not necessarily do it ;)

Mike said an interesting thing: "it would reduce voltage". If you look, the battery has 6 cell. Each cell provide some voltage, to provide a total of 11.47V.

So to reduce the size of the battery, one would need to find a small/lighter battery providing the same voltage.

1000027401.png

sonique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Nancy, France
thanks ewu, I got a gym membership today. meanwhile I want continue explore this idea as a cool "mod".

The Macbook Pro 14" battery specs (src: ifixit) - 11.46V - 69.9Wh - 6100mha
The Macbook Pro 16" battery specs (src: ifixit) - 11.46V - 99.6Wh - 8700mha

The specs are fairly similar, perhaps, a 14" battery may work in a 16", the connectors seem similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.