Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burbs19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Does anyone know how to remove the butterfly mechanism clip from the rMB keyboard? My ESC key cap popped off and broke a clip on the mechanism and so I need to replace it. If I go to the Apple Store would they replace it for free?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Does anyone know how to remove the butterfly mechanism clip from the rMB keyboard? My ESC key cap popped off and broke a clip on the mechanism and so I need to replace it. If I go to the Apple Store would they replace it for free?
Don't mess with it just take it in. My f8 key wasn't sitting right and they fixed it no fee but each store is different. Good luck

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Bit of a digression, but I've been wondering about the same thing.
And really, I just want to point out how ****ed you are if you don't have a certified repair shop within range.

I have a Tab-key with a wonky corner (the bottom left corner is much lower than the others, fully depressed really) and the nearest certified repair shop is a twelve hour drive away.
I want Apple to send me a box, a box that I then can put my computer in and ship it to Apple for repairs.
But Apple are refusing to do so, saying that they "don't have the facilities to perform the repairs".
So they want me to send my Mac through the post, which only insure half of my Mac's value, to a repair shop.
-which is out of the question, naturally.

Frankly, it's outrageous. It's been a couple of months since I first contacted Apple and I keep postponing it, but one of these days I'm going to give a poor customer service rep a stern talking to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.