Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
I know I will get "flamed" for this question, so before I start, I want to point out that I am not new to technology. I was a computer geek back in the TRS-80 days. I learned UNIX in the US millitary. I have worked in IT since 1996. I am a Linux admin. I develop apps in both Linux and Windows. I am no Luddite.

I bought my first iPad in 2011, and my first iPhone in 2012. I did not know anything about iMessage. I am somewhat colorblind so I did not note the difference between the blue and green bubbles. I am not sure if I ever sent or recieved an iMessage as apposed to an SMS.

I noticed the green icon on the iPad. I noticed the badge changing. I thought it was forwarding SMS from my phone. I moved the icon to the third page of my home screen, and never gave it a second thought.

In May of 2014, I visited the California (I live in Singapore). I heard all the press about iMessage. I do not need the headache, so I turned it off. When the "tool" was made public, I dissociated my phone number.

I was in the USA again, so while I was there, I bought an iPhone 6+, and an i Pad 3. Both had iMessage enabled by default. I repeated the phone number process. I cannot dissociate my eMail. How can I do so?

I just want to be as isolated from iMessage as possible, yet still use my Apple devices. I have no patience for problems.

Thank you for reading my long question. I hope reading it was not as difficuilt as typing it on my iPad. :eek:

Last edited:

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
Go into Settings - Messages and sign out of your Apple ID in Messages (Turn off toggle).
That should turn it off completely.
I know that. I did that. But if my eMail is still on the servers, and someone sends me an iMessage, will it be lost in limbo, or will they get an error? Nobody has been able to answer that. :eek:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If iMessage is off, then you will have chosen to only receive SMS messages associated with your phone number.

Any person in the world with an Apple device who knows your email can attempt to send you an iMessage using your email. If you have iMessage disabled, then the message will revert to a SMS text message. Of course, you will not receive it since the SMS text platform cannot forward it.

Whether it fails or is not delivered, since you don't want to receive email iMessages, I can't see that it matters. After all, anyone with iMessage who has your email, could attempt an email based iMessage and you would have no knowledge of their trying this anyway since it cannot succeed.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
Will the sender know that it failed?

I would rather not have any of my friends try it, and potentially result in some unforeseen "paradox". So I dare not verify it.

I am pretty pissed at :apple: about this whole limbo thing. I only became fully aware of it lately.

Why did iMessage have to default to enabled? The only reason there are 150million users is a good third of them do not even know they are using it. I am a technical person, and I was "blindsided" by it, what chance does "john consumer" have?

This is a really strange situation that is unique to :apple: and is without any precedent to draw upon.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

I would rather not have any of my friends try it, and potentially result in some unforeseen "paradox". So I dare not verify it.

I am pretty pissed at :apple: about this whole limbo thing. I only became fully aware of it lately.

Why did iMessage have to default to enabled? The only reason there are 150million users is a good third of them do not even know they are using it. I am a technical person, and I was "blindsided" by it, what chance does "john consumer" have?

This is a really strange situation that is unique to :apple: and is without any precedent to draw upon.

Yes they will it won't say delivered.

It's not enabled by default unless you choose to sign in during setup you can skip the process

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

I think you are missing the whole point here (unless this is an OCD thing)
ANYONE with your email address and an iPhone can attempt to send you an iMessage - you have no control over who tries or doesn't try to send you such a message, be it friends or not friends, i.e. strangers, telemarketers, whomever.

As myself and other poster advised - turn it off and it is a moot issue. Can't see anything here important enough to generate being as irritated or concerned as you are portraying.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
Thank you all for your input.

If you read the press, you will know that this issue has been far reaching. You do not understand the magnetude.

I live in Singapore, where SMS is not just a novelty like in the West. It is used for everything, including business here. Getting your text is pretty much vital. Nobody uses voicemail. The economy of Singapore is somewhat dependant on text messaging, and most people have no idea what iMessage is.

I text back and forth with my wife a dozen times a day.

I asked about this problem on a dozen forums. i have seen that many others have asked the same question. Most get no answer at all, or just get insulted for asking.

I even went to Apple Support and asked. I was given an obviously wrong answer.

I have nothing against :apple:, and I have no pollitical adjenda. I own an :apple: TV, an iPad, an iPhone. My wife and stepson have iPads.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014

If you read the press, you will know that this issue has been far reaching. You do not understand the magnetude.

I live in Singapore, where SMS is not just a novelty like in the West. It is used for everything, including business here. Getting your text is pretty much vital. Nobody uses voicemail. The economy of Singapore is somewhat dependant on text messaging, and most people have no idea what iMessage is.

I asked about this problem on a dozen forums. i have seen that many others have asked the same question. Most get no answer at all, or just get insulted for asking.

I have nothing against :apple:, and I have no pollitical adjenda. I own an :apple: TV, an iPad, an iPhone. My wife and stepson have iPads.

people have given you an answer and you're not listening. that's why you're being insulted.

you're not as tech savvy as you may think you are.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I think you are missing the whole point here (unless this is an OCD thing)
ANYONE with your email address and an iPhone can attempt to send you an iMessage - you have no control over who tries or doesn't try to send you such a message, be it friends or not friends, i.e. strangers, telemarketers, whomever.

As myself and other poster advised - turn it off and it is a moot issue. Can't see anything here important enough to generate being as irritated or concerned as you are portraying.

I think it being turned "off" means no one can send you an iMessage as it's not associated with iMessage. So that should solve his problem about not getting lost in limbo. I tried that with my spam email and it literally got sent as an email which had "test" in my email content.

----------

We understand. The above method suggested by posters works as you get an email not iMessage. Problem solved.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
people have given you an answer and you're not listening. that's why you're being insulted.

you're not as tech savvy as you may think you are.

How rude, and uncalled for! You are definatly an American (no need to look).

When I talk about insult, I am talking about right from the first post. Something like this:

Q: "How does one remove his or her email from iMessage?".
A: "What a gay question!"

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
No one here insulted or flamed you, nor was anyone rude to you.

Everyone has tried to help you understand. Your reply assumed we do not or can not comprehend how these messaging tools are used. And in case you are unaware, voicemail is generally a thing of the past in America also, we all generally have multiple iDevices and my family texts/sends iMessages all day long, so the use of those is not a novelty, it is used the same here in America as elseware in the world.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
How rude, and uncalled for! You are definatly an American (no need to look).

When I talk about insult, I am talking about right from the first post. Something like this:

Q: "How does one remove his or her email from iMessage?".
A: "What a gay question!"

"rude and uncalled for" ... lmao quit being so sensitive.

and no, i'm not american.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So is there an actual problem of someone sending an iMessage to the email address?

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
So is there an actual problem of someone sending an iMessage to the email address?

No

Some friends had difficultly with iMessage. The press had nothing good to say about it so I have no trust in it. I just wanted to isolate myself from it as much as I can.

I have a sick relative to keep track of. My favorite auntie is 82, and soon to go to her next life. The next message she sends could be her last! This is stressing me! I depend heavily on text messaging for everything. It has to work.

I was not aware that Americans use it for anything but a novelty. It has been years since I left. Text messaging in the USA was expensive, and full of SPAM when I last lived there. My fingers were to big to reliably type messages on my old Verizon flip phone anyway. :D

Thankx all, I feel better.

Last edited:

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
Let us say if you dropped your device while crossing the road, and it is hit by a taxicab! :eek: You had iMessage switched off. You will need to go to the :apple: store and buy a new phone, or tablet. If you buy a new device, then "restore from iCloud backup", iMessage will be re-enabled. My colleagues have verified my observation. :eek:

Maybe the behavior varies from region to region.

I just wanted to make sure everyone knew about the behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.