Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Randrewmul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2018
Scotland
I am trying to remove an item from the trash, I receive the message "The operation can’t be completed because the item “Resources” is in use." when I attempt the "Delete Immediately " option. It shows the item still in use but I can't seem to see how considering i have deleted the .app file. I have tried deleting through terminal using the "sudo rm -R " then dragging the file in but this is the message that appears, "
Rosss-MBP-2:~ Ross$ sudo rm -R /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ko.lproj: No such file or directory

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app: Directory not empty"

I really don't know what to do here and I want this file removed from my Trash!

Ross.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Log out and back in. If that fails, reboot the computer. Either of those should release any hold on the file.

Reactions: MacDawg

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just to confirm, have you restarted your machine and then tried to delete it?
I'm assuming you have, but you didn't specifically say that you have

Randrewmul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2018
Scotland
Just to confirm, have you restarted your machine and then tried to delete it?
I'm assuming you have, but you didn't specifically say that you have

Just to confirm, Yes i have tried restarting and deleting.
[doublepost=1534165242][/doublepost]
Log out and back in. If that fails, reboot the computer. Either of those should release any hold on the file.

First things I have tried before attempting everything I initially stated. No success.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I am trying to remove an item from the trash, I receive the message "The operation can’t be completed because the item “Resources” is in use." when I attempt the "Delete Immediately " option. It shows the item still in use but I can't seem to see how considering i have deleted the .app file. I have tried deleting through terminal using the "sudo rm -R " then dragging the file in but this is the message that appears, "
Rosss-MBP-2:~ Ross$ sudo rm -R /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ko.lproj: No such file or directory

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents/Frameworks: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app/Contents: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/Ross/.Trash/uTorrent.app: Directory not empty"

I really don't know what to do here and I want this file removed from my Trash!

Ross.

You can try running lsof with some of the files as inputs. The output will be any process that uses that file

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Can you break this down a bit simpler for me please?

In Terminal
The command is:
lsof <Path to File>

With the above input, Terminal will output any processes that use that file.

Alternative uses is
lsof <Process ID>

This variant spits out files used by that process.

Using lsof with the files you can't delete as input, you should get an overview of what processes need to be stopped for the files to be removed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.