Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Hello,

I cannot remove any icons from the menu bar, even while holding cmd and dragging it. Is there a specific place I have to release it? I’m on a M2 MacBook Air on macOS Ventura 13.2.1.

Is there a way to get rid of the shortcuts menu bar icon specifically from the menu bar?

Thanks.

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
That’s weird you can’t hold Cmd and drag it out—that’s literally what Apple tells you to do I think. Have you tried restarting?

EDIT: Actually I think Shortcuts is weird and you can’t really remove it. I think that’s a bug.

Reactions: MmkLucario

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
That’s weird you can’t hold Cmd and drag it out—that’s literally what Apple tells you to do I think. Have you tried restarting?

EDIT: Actually I think Shortcuts is weird and you can’t really remove it. I think that’s a bug.
The same thing happens with the other menu bar icons. I might try restarting and see what happens.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I’m unable to even move the icon without holding cmd.
Odd. I can move icons around, move them to the trash can (at which point they are gone), I can drag new icons to the menu bar, all without pressing any other keys.

I am using a MBA M2 running the latest version of MacOS.

To be clear, we are talking about the bar at the bottom that has the icons for applications?

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Odd. I can move icons around, move them to the trash can (at which point they are gone), I can drag new icons to the menu bar, all without pressing any other keys.

I am using a MBA M2 running the latest version of MacOS.

To be clear, we are talking about the bar at the bottom that has the icons for applications?
Ohhh. The bar on the bottom with the applications is called the dock. The bar on the top with the options and icons is the menu bar.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I don’t use Shortcuts, but if I understand your desire, you should be able to manage where they are available from the app.

1679600672231.png

If that section isn’t available, go to Shortcuts (menu) -> Settings -> Sidebar

1679600749390.png

Reactions: Reggaenald

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
@raythompsontn

It’s a helpful, quick reference resource. :)

Reactions: Tagbert

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Sorry about the miscommunication.
I have removed the menu bar option from the side bar, but the menu bar icon is still there.
You’ll want to remove the shortcut from the Menu Bar section, not the Menu Bar section from the sidebar.

I’ll try again. Go to the Menu Bar section, right click on whatever shortcut you no longer want in the menu bar and select/click Remove from Menu Bar — the shortcut should still appear in All Shortcuts

1679602044901.png

Reactions: MmkLucario

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Sorry about the miscommunication.

You’ll want to remove the shortcut from the Menu Bar section, not the Menu Bar section from the sidebar.

I’ll try again. Go to the Menu Bar section, right click on whatever shortcut you no longer want in the menu bar and select/click Remove from Menu Bar — the shortcut should still appear in All Shortcuts

View attachment 2177799
No worries.

I tried it and the menu bar icon is still there. I might try restarting the computer.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
After the restart does other menu bar items behave properly for you as well? Holding CMD and moving them out should work, even for (most) of the ones that can be adjusted from the System Settings panel as well
I can move them now and remove them if I wanted to, at least the Apple icons. The other icons have an option to remove them from the menu bar (except for Qustodio, but that’s fine).

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
ummm, Settings/control Center? That covers a lot of them. Others, like fan control are controlled directly in the application. If you don't have any shortcuts toggled as menu bar, shortcuts doesn't show.

Seriously a long thread for something so basic and simple

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
ummm, Settings/control Center? That covers a lot of them. Others, like fan control are controlled directly in the application. If you don't have any shortcuts toggled as menu bar, shortcuts doesn't show.

Seriously a long thread for something so basic and simple
Yes I could remove the icons using that you listed. But for some reason, even though I had no shortcuts on the menu bar, the shortcuts icon was still there, hence the thread.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Yes I could remove the icons using that you listed. But for some reason, even though I had no shortcuts on the menu bar, the shortcuts icon was still there, hence the thread.
Well that is a mystery. I have one shortcut on the menubar. I remove it and poof away goes the shortcut icon, add it back and whoop, there it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.