Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hello,

Can someone please suggest me an app from the Apple Store that REALLY removes all junk files created by macOS and you can see then in a PC?

Thanks
Came

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hello,

Can someone please suggest me an app from the Apple Store that REALLY removes all junk files created by macOS and you can see then in a PC?

Thanks
Came
MacOS and Windows are not the same in this regard. Those programs are largely unnecessary, and many of the programs claiming to remove said files and speed up your Mac are snake oil and use deceptive advertising to prey on those who don’t know better.

Why are you wanting such a program? Is your Mac having issues?

Reactions: chabig and camelia

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle

It sounds like .DS_Store is showing up on shared drives. This explains it and has a solution.
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/stop-ds-store-files-mac-network/

Key snippets:

"So if you’re sharing a NAS at your office with people using Windows PCs, they may suddenly see a bunch of .DS_Store files littering the shared directories..."

"To configure your Mac to not create .DS_Store files on shared network drives, log into macOS, launch the Terminal, and enter the following command:"
write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores -bool TRUE

Reactions: AleRod and camelia

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
MacOS and Windows are not the same in this regard. Those programs are largely unnecessary, and many of the programs claiming to remove said files and speed up your Mac are snake oil and use deceptive advertising to prey on those who don’t know better.

No my Mac is not having any issue, the problem is my grandfather he always click on the ._filename.extension instead of the file not starting with "._"

It sounds like .DS_Store is showing up on shared drives. This explains it and has a solution.
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/stop-ds-store-files-mac-network/

Key snippets:

"So if you’re sharing a NAS at your office with people using Windows PCs, they may suddenly see a bunch of .DS_Store files littering the shared directories..."

"To configure your Mac to not create .DS_Store files on shared network drives, log into macOS, launch the Terminal, and enter the following command:"

Great!, I will run this command asap! Thanks

AKA, Mac droppings. Unsightly and embarrassing.

Fantastic! thank you

But I still can not find how to avoid .fseventd and .Spolight-V100

i have uncheck everything in System Preferences > Spotlight

So BlueHarvest is not a solution for me with the all the USB sticks I have created in macOS and my grandfather uses in his Windows Pc?

Do I have to delete them manually?

Thanks
Came

ElectricPotato

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2018
Seattle
But I still can not find how to avoid .fseventd and .Spolight-V100

Neither can I. You can manually delete them but I know of no way to prevent macOS from recreating them on the next USB drive insertion. It seems to be an ongoing issue for many years with no resolution. Apple insists on sprinkling these on anything it touches.

Doing that with no option to disable seems like an obviously bad idea to me and many others but Apple seems committed to doing just that.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Thank you very much to all,

It worked like a charm, I am very happy with the results, but yes the task is embarrassing

And thank you all for your help ;)

It works if you type in terminal this command (without quotes)

“defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true”

https://lastbytes.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/mac-droppings/

Came

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.